When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Flyer Find. Help Determining Age?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pendulum

On Training Wheels
Hello,

I picked up this red Shelby Flyer at an nearby estate sale for a whopping $10! While the bike was not stored in the greatest environment, the rust is fairly limited, with the worst on the back splash guard. I admittedly know very little about vintage bicycles, but through looking online I saw that AMF bough Shelby in 1953. My bike has a AMF logo on the bike so I though perhaps it was made in the mid 50's? The bike front tire is a US Royal Middleweight and the back tire is a Phoenix Harburg. It also appears a Wald brand basket was added at some point. I looked up the US Royal tire and found ads from 54 and 55, So my guess is the bike is from the mid 50's. Unfortunately both tires will probably need replacing, as years of sitting flat have cracked the tires. I have included some photos if any Shelby experts could give any knowledge, as it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to fix up this bike, which I don't think would be to hard. The seat will probably be the biggest challenge, if anyone knows a good reupholserer for bike seats that would be helpful. Also, is there any way to adjust the seat height, I am used to more modern bikes where an adjuster is below the seat.

20160611_192830.jpg

20160611_193426.jpg

20160611_193435.jpg

20160611_191542.jpg

Cool bike. Great price!
Take the seat off and see if there is a bolt on top of the post. If so it is a wedge bolt like the stem or neck for the handlebars.
Loosen that and smack it squarely with a hammer. place it at the height you need, tighten it and replace the seat.

AMF released those dropouts late 1954. Your serial number is still the CWC style but it should have 2 numbers before the CW stamp. That would be the year. I don't think I've seen that style Shelby frame produced by AMF before, cool find.

I have nothing against Schwinns - my buddy has two - but around here (The CABE) they seem to be very defensive about owning Schwinns.
I think if owning a bike was going to make me act that way, I'd find a different bike.
This is the wrong forum page for Schwinns.

aP9290001.jpg

they really just ain't the be-all-end-all
that would be Rene Herse, and this is the right forum page for that

Last edited:
Nice score! A Shelby is probably the hardest bike to identify! Your guesstimate i believe is correct! I had a very similiar bike once. Pic attached for reference. Clean, grease and ride! Funny how Schwinns were even mentioned in this post! Next we will argue Trump as president! Ha!

image.jpg

Back