When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Guys... Need Help W/year Date Of Mfgr

-

juanitasmith13

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Attaching a www. found photo of a girls Shelby that has correct frame and headlamp,,, not sure about chain-wheel or guard. I do not have photo of exact bicycle.

Do have Serial Number: A91844. Please date this bike serial number for me...?

al shelby re-size.jpg

There isn't a list to decode Shelby serial numbers. The bike you pictured is from the early fifties, 53 or so as it has parts seen on later/last Shelbys. The frame and light were seen late forties into the last Shelbys of the early fifties. If you get a picture of the actual bike will be able to tell more from the parts and paint on it.

The bike shown above was mine that I sold about three or four years ago locally. These later bikes had a metal tag on the BB which normally had the two digit date stamped on it e.g. "53". You need to post a pic and if possible the metal tag. V/r Shawn

There isn't a list to decode Shelby serial numbers. The bike you pictured is from the early fifties, 53 or so as it has parts seen on later/last Shelbys. The frame and light were seen late forties into the last Shelbys of the early fifties. If you get a picture of the actual bike will be able to tell more from the parts and paint on it.

cds2323 and Freqman1; et al: Attaching a photo today. There is no Ser. No. tag [my '51 Shelby Flier has tag, so I am familiar], Owner says Serial Number given was stamped on BB; Owner says he thinks this is Shelby Airflow, this is only photo here which I have scanned.... Hoping this adds to discussion. Note appears front drop rear drop-outs... so, is this after AMF buy-out?

cds2323 and Freqman1; et al: Attaching a photo today. There is no Ser. No. tag [my '51 Shelby Flier has tag, so I am familiar], Owner says Serial Number given was stamped on BB; Owner says he thinks this is Shelby Airflow, this is only photo here which I have scanned.... Hoping this adds to discussion.

Als Shelby Airflow.jpg

I believe you're right. I'm fairly sure the rear dropouts did not change until after AMF acquired Shelby. The frame looks similar to the Shelby frame but has some subtle differences. See where upper rear stays meet the seat post and the bar connecting the lower two downtubes on the frame. Shows some CWC influence.

Back