When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Hiawatha Arrow 'Regrestoration'

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Got the front fender mended.
First, someone had drilled a hole at the rear. Maybe for a mud flap. Who knows? Anyway, it's gone now!

Next up is that dime size hole where it bolts to the fork.
I cut a plug from an old scrap piece of another fender to get the same guage metal. I went ahead and shaped it to fit the slot also just to have a better way to hold it in place.

Used some tape to hold it long enough for a couple of tack welds.

Bead blasted it one more time before welding it in. TIG welding requires very clean surfaces.

Forgot to stop for a picture after it was welded in. :( The extra hole was welded up also.
Here it is after sanding and cuting the slot.

Got the front fender mended.
First, someone had drilled a hole at the rear. Maybe for a mud flap. Who knows? Anyway, it's gone now!
View attachment 1170217

View attachment 1170218

Next up is that dime size hole where it bolts to the fork.
I cut a plug from an old scrap piece of another fender to get the same guage metal. I went ahead and shaped it to fit the slot also just to have a better way to hold it in place.
View attachment 1170225

Used some tape to hold it long enough for a couple of tack welds.
View attachment 1170226

Bead blasted it one more time before welding it in. TIG welding requires very clean surfaces.
View attachment 1170227

Forgot to stop for a picture after it was welded in. :( The extra hole was welded up also.
Here it is after sanding and cuting the slot.
View attachment 1170229
Looking good! Are Shelby fenders fairly thick gauge? Hope you are having fun with this!

Reactions: TRM
Word to the wise... when dealing with 80+ year old parts, check everything closely before assuming everything is fine!

I got very lucky that a mounting bracket gave up it's secrets well before any paint work and final assembly began. While contentedly sanding away on one of the tank halves, the front mounting bracket casually and without a sound simply fell off! I'm thinking this was initiated by the shipping damage and finally let go with a little pressure and shaking back and forth during the sanding. At first I was upset that it broke but quickly changed to grateful that it broke now and not later!

You can clearly see the original spot weld. This was very helpfull later to locate the correct placement.

I carefully transfered the mounting holes from the left tank half and made a jig for welding it back in place. Having three mounting points made it simple to line up.

Took it to a professional to have it brazed back in.

Back to where it started!

Now I can resume paint prep. :)

Word to the wise... when dealing with 80+ year old parts, check everything closely before assuming everything is fine!

I got very lucky that a mounting bracket gave up it's secrets well before any paint work and final assembly began. While contentedly sanding away on one of the tank halves, the front mounting bracket casually and without a sound simply fell off! I'm thinking this was initiated by the shipping damage and finally let go with a little pressure and shaking back and forth during the sanding. At first I was upset that it broke but quickly changed to grateful that it broke now and not later!

You can clearly see the original spot weld. This was very helpfull later to locate the correct placement.
View attachment 1184044

I carefully transfered the mounting holes from the left tank half and made a jig for welding it back in place. Having three mounting points made it simple to line up.
View attachment 1184045

Took it to a professional to have it brazed back in.
View attachment 1184046

Back to where it started!
View attachment 1184048

Now I can resume paint prep. :)
All part of the job. Lots of times those sheet metal spot welds were not that great to begin with. Then years of on and off and just vibration from use. Back to work.
Thanks for taking the effort to share the details!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLF
I've always enjoyed watching a Craftsman at work since I was a kid. Great thread as usual by a true Craftsman. :cool:

These are my dream bike to own and have the skeleton.
Trying to be patient for these to be available to the public for selfish reasons.:p:p Can't wait to see more!

No, it's just high build primer. It was pretty hot yesterday and you're probably seeing some over spray that dried quickly. Like I said, there's plenty more sanding ahead!

Back