When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Hiawatha Arrow 'Regrestoration'

-
This donor bike which surfaced at the Spring 2019 Memory Lane has provided the frame, rear rack and fender, and bars for the project.
IMG_3579.jpg

I actually started some of the work a while back after the parts first arrived. Some of you on facebook have already seen the tank but here is where it started.

The tank had some minor damage. You can see some of it here.
View attachment 1136649

The red insert had a dent that was 'oil canning' but I was able to hammer it out with a shrinking dolly and finish smoothing it with some filler.
View attachment 1136653
Not going to strip it?

To work on the tank halves and keep everything properly aligned I made a work surface that allowed the internal bracing to extend through and out of the way.

This will come into play later when it comes time to make the molds.

So here is part of the story, I bought the red and black Hiawatha Arrow in Switzerland in the fall of 2018. I believe Mike Spangler originally had it restored. It was a beauty only to arrive after shipping as a New Mexico low rider.

View attachment 1136757
View attachment 1136758

Wow that’s a cryin shame! Here is a perfect example why complete disassembly and excessive packing materials are required for safe shipments. What a waste of vintage metal. It’s a sad in the vintage bike world. :(

Back