When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Motorbike frame with extras, 1930s $250 shipped, OBO

-
Did Colson also ever build bikes for Simmons hardware stores?
I have seen a lug frame Simmons recently that had lug frame joints at the head tube.

I can’t answer that, @Archie Sturmer , but now I’m questioning my own Simmons. It was represented as Schwinn which I didn’t question (as I don’t know any better). Anyway, looking anew at pics of other early Schwinn Motobikes, my frame doesn’t look anything like them. Prompted by your question, I searched for pics of Colsons of that era, and the lugging (or lack thereof) at the seat tube is different. I don’t have any photos from when the bike was apart (lost phone, and cloud backup left a three month gap), but the link above shows the crank casting mark.

D93CABA1-B061-46AB-AFBD-F4C57332F061.jpeg

25412E10-EF5A-4379-8B2E-B88D5F437762.jpeg

21777094-1680-4FF1-8F9B-2C63B4D82E42.jpeg

B374EA7C-AEC9-4649-8E09-DBAE17100758.jpeg

Awww maaaaaaan….why do these cool motobike frames from the 30's that you don't see often keep showing up? To bankrupt me?:weary:
I can't do this any more. Hmmmm...…... land, gold, art, r/e or old bike frames? which is a better investment?

Great photos and presentation @Blackbomber!

Loving on that beautifully banged up and patina'd FLYER badge!

Am I correct in thinking the og color was yellow? If so it could be quite a looker!! Someone break out the everclear!

You my friend are an asset to the CABE community!

@SKPC you should grab this bud it's right up your alley!

GLWYS BBomber!

N

Last edited:
Awww maaaaaaan….why do these cool motobike frames from the 30's that you don't see often keep showing up? To bankrupt me?:weary:
I can't do this any more. Hmmmm...…... land, gold, art, r/e or old bike frames? which is a better investment?

==================================

@SKPC

My exact sediments ………….

Teen's … twenty's …. thirty's motorbike frames ….
Lugs and trumpet-mouths -- Lugs and trumpet-mouths ...

Land - Gold - Art ? … Gimme those unusual motorbike frames !

Thank You ! @Blackbomber

….. patric

Umm, sorry? I've said this before, but your (@SKPC) bikes are an inspiration to me. If it makes you feel better, I think maybe I'll hold onto this for a while (at least until after Dudley). Although I would really like to see what YOU would do with it :)

Great photos and presentation @Blackbomber!

Loving on that beautifully banged up and patina'd FLYER badge!

Am I correct in thinking the og color was yellow? If so it could be quite a looker!! Someone break out the everclear!

You my friend are an asset to the CABE community!

@SKPC you should grab this bud it's right up your alley!

GLWYS BBomber!

N

Thanks for the high praise! Means a lot coming from you, @Krakatoa. I apologize for hijacking my own thread - the yellow bike is my 28" clad wheel Simmons. I've since cleaned it up a bit more, and think it looks great. I really should give that bike it's own thread.

==================================

@SKPC

My exact sediments ………….

Teen's … twenty's …. thirty's motorbike frames ….
Lugs and trumpet-mouths -- Lugs and trumpet-mouths ...

Land - Gold - Art ? … Gimme those unusual motorbike frames !

Thank You ! @Blackbomber

….. patric

OK, @hoofhearted, if the previous two hadn't convinced me, your post did. I get the feeling I'd regret selling this frame. You don't see them every day. And this one is kind of funny, because I had to walk around it to look at a bike my wife was interested in at the Wethersfield CT swap. I would likely not have noticed it if she hadn't pointed me in that direction. And I had no intentions of getting anything like this, as I'd just (that morning) wrapped up the Simmons Motorbike. My name's Wilson (first name), by the way. A long time ago, when I began posting in forums, I felt there was some reason to hide behind the anonymity of an online persona separate from who I actually am. But I'm not a different person online, so what's the point? Glad to meet you, Patric.

So even though I won't be doing anything with this frame for a bit, I think I'll make a tidy resting place in my basement for it. I don't like hanging onto things for no reason, but I'm also really beginning to like bikes from this era. So I think I should move some lightweight Schwinns (love them, but don't need three), and maybe the middleweight I haven't ridden in a couple of months...

EDIT: Before I forget. I still feel like such a newb. I got my Corvette 7 or 8 years ago, and only followed that up with a postwar DX about a year ago. Then I discovered Schwinn lightweights, and commuting to work by bike. I added the '32 Simmons this spring, as well as a muscle bike and the Shelby frame. And I just got a prewar Silver King a week ago. Not that the number of bikes matters, but each one encourages me to learn more. And something like a pre-war Shelby encourages leveraging the expertise of fellow enthusiasts here on the Cabe. I've had various hobbies over my 44 years, but I'm finding the most enjoyment in finding, preserving, and riding these old machines. Thanks to you three, and the countless others who have shared their knowledge and inspiration.

Last edited:
@Blackbomber

Wilson … basement park your Shelby … where it's still visible,
of course.

Learn to listen to it. This machine will let you know when it
wants to be built. Don't let it talk you into a complete resto
just yet. Live with it awhile after it's eventual build.

One fine day you'll be riding that relic … preserved rust and all ...
when you begin to hear a tiny voice ... ''Please Kind Sir ... Please
buy a tank for me -- one that actually fits between my bars.''

Oh, Wilson ... i do envy you ....

..... patric

^^^ Sir Patrick is correct. Keep it. Do not sell it. Spend time looking at it. Look at it again. Close your eyes and imagine it built. Do not sell it.
Ok, you did ask what I would do so heregoes-Use all the original parts that came with it & try to source a correct crusty fork w/truss rods. Low mile Shelby-specific clean headset cups. Crusty long moto bars positioned flat with ball end grips, t-8's/10's or older pedals with the patina heavy(must have perfect axle/cones/cups) New Diamond chain. I would(some disagree) lather it up and down with boiled linseed oil to protect what is left, then wipe all traces of oil away/polish it off. Clean the drivetrain , lightly clean the crankset plating and then find perfect cones, cups and bearings. Leave the bike stripped(roadster) with no stand of any kind. Fenders? Maybe. Chainguard- No? Tank-110% yes if possible. Wheels? Sky is the limit. Hmmmmm. You will know what to do if you keep it.

Last edited:
@Blackbomber

Wilson … basement park your Shelby … where it's still visible,
of course.

Learn to listen to it. This machine will let you know when it
wants to be built. Don't let it talk you into a complete resto
just yet. Live with it awhile after it's eventual build.

One fine day you'll be riding that relic … preserved rust and all ...
when you begin to hear a tiny voice ... ''Please Kind Sir ... Please
buy a tank for me -- one that actually fits between my bars.''

Oh, Wilson ... i do envy you ....

..... patric
Sage advice.
I'll show my respect and appreciation by following suit.

^^^ Sir Patrick is correct. Keep it. Do not sell it. Spend time looking at it. Look at it again. Close your eyes and imagine it built. Do not sell it.
Ok, you did ask what I would do so heregoes-Use all the original parts that came with it & try to source a correct crusty fork w/truss rods. Low mile Shelby-specific clean headset cups. Crusty long moto bars positioned flat with ball end grips, t-8's/10's or older pedals with the patina heavy(must have perfect axle/cones/cups) New Diamond chain. I would(some disagree) lather it up and down with boiled linseed oil to protect what is left, then wipe all traces of oil away/polish it off. Clean the drivetrain , lightly clean the crankset plating and then find perfect cones, cups and bearings. Leave the bike stripped(roadster) with no stand of any kind. Wheels? Sky is the limit. Hmmmmm. You will know what to do if you keep it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Original fork would be first choice. Only one I've found to date was more than I paid for frame, but a) have to pay to play, and b) I'm in no rush.

I hadn't considered Shelby cups would be different - good to know. From what I've seen, they are toast. On my shopping list.

I'm a fan of moto bars. The short ones on my Simmons feel good, but I'm also running a lucky 7 post, so long with a straight post would be good. I can always change it if I don't like it. I like the ball end grips suggestion as well. My dreaming hadn't gotten that detailed.

For pedals, I was thinking the very early rat trap TOC style, if I can get them in 1/2" thread. But I do like the feel and look of the T8s I put on the Simmons. I've got repro T10s on the SK, and don't like them as much. I do think that might be psychological - as in deep down I know I'm riding repros. Anyway, can never go wrong with Torrington. The ones on my Simmons are actually not ratty enough for that bike, in my opinion. I have the unknown pedals that came with the Shelby, which I want to refurbish at some point. Maybe I'll make that step one. Even if I don't use them on the Shelby or Simmons, I'll have a working set of '30s pedals, which is never a bad thing.

I have a fairly nice, but not new Diamond chain which should fit. I bought it for the Simmons, but it was a couple of links short for the 28" wheel frame. Should be fine for this.

I've recently become a huge fan of boiled linseed oil, and happen to have a lifetime supply (quart). That's a no-brainer for me.

OK, pedals will be step 2, crankset cleaning will be step 1. Chainwheel seems like it will clean up nicely, and I'll have to see about the crank. When you specify light cleaning, are you thinking an immersion (OA, Evaporust, etc.) or chrome cleaner, 0000 steel wool, something like that? I'll have a close look at the existing cups, cones, bearings. They didn't look bad, but they are still soaking in Kerosene - I haven't actually inspected them yet. Otherwise, on my list. Are they Shelby specific as well? You didn't specify, so I'll assume not, in which case finding replacements will be easy.

I'm with you on stripped. Obviously no drop stand, but I was thinking of using the kickstand which came with the Simmons until I found it wouldn't fit without shaving some metal from it. My SK is a leaner at the moment, and I'm getting used to it.

I've been all over the map with regards to wheels. They could be the cheapest part of the build, or the most expensive. And that depends on how I'll use the bike, which right now I don't even know. It looks rad on the 28"s, so I was thinking 700c clinchers with a 38-40mm or so tire. Initially, I was thinking this could replace my lightweight, and was thinking Nexus 8 roller brake, and a drum hub for front. I like the idea of the Nuvinci N360, but they are not easy to find used, more expensive, and I'll probably end up having to use a disk brakes. I see there are bolt on caliper brackets so I can keep my original steel intact, but disk adds cost, and if I'm looking to keep the bike stealth, well they will out me. Then again, I'm already adding three cables with internal gearing and hand brakes. But I think those additions will invite me to ride it more, which in turn more than pay for themselves. When I'm out with the kids, I pull a trailer, which is about 100# loaded. I do need gears for my all purpose bike. If I'm starting from scratch, I should build the most versatile bike I can, right?

You didn't mention seats. I love the look of early spring saddles. But they are so HEAVY! This frame weighs 7.4 lbs with the cups. Not the lightest, but I have a 24" electro-forged Schwinn "lightweight" frame which weighs 8.2 lbs bare. And that's the type of bike I ride every day. So I'm thinking keep it on the light side with an English leather saddle. Not the most imaginative choice, but it seems to be the obvious choice. Then again, what's a few pounds when exercise is part of why I ride?

Last edited:
Back