When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby pedal removal

-

Skiptoothgrin

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just acquired a Shelby Traveler ladies. I have it stripped to repaint but can't seem to budge the right side pedal to remove the crank. I see there is a screw at the back but it wont budge either. I've tried a modest application of heat but before I disassemble the pedals themselves and turn up the gas wrench I wanted to know if someone has a magic trick.

Heat or let it soak for a few days with a good penetrating oil.
downloadvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg
web_ad_02.jpg

Lay your bike on it's side, so that slot you are talking about is facing up, nice and level. Put some of your penetrating oil on it and every chance you get, morning and night is fine, hit it again . Being it is laying flat, some of the oil will puddle around the threads and soak down. Spraying oil on a pedal when the bike is standing upright just wastes oil When stuff is really stuck, patience is the cure. Too much heat may discolor your crank arm. I've never broke one, but I've messed up pedals.

From my limited experience it's not common for pedals to be stuck in crank arms unless they're damaged.
I can't recall ever having to use heat to remove one, even when damaged.
The right (drive) side pedal doesn't need to come off to remove the crank.
Don't know why it's there but the slot in the end of the spindle is not for installation/removal: a screwdriver can't get enough umph.
You'll need one of these or similar:

prod5647_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505.jpg

Back