When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Serial Number Project

-
b2163eeacb5bd6a5aa60b8ea386445b6.jpg
orig 1936 shelby traveler,model 24,serial number starts with the letter n. I know the triple stepped rims,torrington deco neck,and squarish badge were phased out in 1937ish. Also,the deep MacCauley fenders were introduced in 36,phasing out the triple stepped/rain gutter fenders,too. Hope this helps.
22ee56c4b3417b2d9ae595ccb7fd11a0.jpg
f7e2c20c9624ca3d96adcc63375f9784.jpg
e375207ab8d24a7487250a54cd5e67f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: JLF
I came across this in an old bicycle book several years ago that I bought. I have no clue if this is accurate or not but I'd figure I'd share this on this post it may help date these Shelby bicycles which are hard to date!!
IMG_20151023_102844083.jpg

I came across this in an old bicycle book several years ago that I bought. I have no clue if this is accurate or not but I'd figure I'd share this on this post it may help date these Shelby bicycles which are hard to date!!
View attachment 338228

Based on what I've seen the "R-S-T" were more '38-40/41? letters so this list is immediately suspect to me. V/r Shawn

Like I said Shawn I'm no expert on Shelbys at all and thought this paper might help you guys out a bit in decoding these Shelby bicycles!!

Thanks George. I think there is still a lot of work to be done on the Shelby serial number project. It actually surprises me that we aren't further along than we are! V/r Shawn

Well, i posted up a thread offering up all of my knowledge to start a serial number thread but nobody responded so......?

I am one of only a few that knows the ins and outs of Shelbys.

Based on recollection - that list does not work at all for what I have observed.

I have never tried writing down what I have observed for analysis... but I have not noticed any correlation or trend with regard to dating in that letter code that everyone wants to work... because it works for other manufacturers. I have wondered if the letter code might be series or model related or something else, and not related to year of mfg at all...

Last edited:
I am working at a museum with a small bike collection. As best I can figure out, one of our bikes is a mid-1930s Shelby frame, sold by Eagle. Was wondering if anyone here had any updates or information that might help me narrow down more specifics on this. Thanks!

Back