When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby/Shelco badged 26 X 1.375 girls bike, what can you tell me

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

genesmachines

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a friend who wants this and I need some info. Will post a pic of bike and head badge. tell me if this is the correct forum then i will post more pics and info. thanks much in advance. CABE ROCKS

shel1.JPG

shel3.JPG

26x1.375 tires are a problem, not made in years. NOS is the only possibility. There is another size close that might fit with some coaxing, but I would plan on (and budget for) a second set of wheels to fit more readily available tires. If you wind up not needing to change them, so much the better.

No need. I got this at an estate sale that told the history of this womans life hanging from the rafters in her basement. this for her teen yrs maybe her moms, a 60s CCM that looked like new and a 10 spd that was gone before i got there. The tires are in beautiful shape, no cracks that i could see, there was even a little air in the front. Sadly the front has been replaced a 1 3/8 rim, made in France, Rigida or something close and a Goodyear tire similar to the Goodyear on back. It has been repainted, was originally red? I included pics of brake arm and kickstand, Pat.1984299 and serial #23720. Nothing on rear hub that I could see, that got the paint job too.

shel2.JPG

shel4.JPG

shel5.JPG

shel6.JPG

shel7.JPG

shel8.JPG

shel9.JPG

shel10.JPG

Others will know much more than I do. That New Departure rear hub is quite old, probably dating back to the days when most common bikes used 28 inch single tube tires.

tell me if this is the correct forum then i will post more pics and info.
I believe that classic may be the wrong forum, and that the bicycle might be an earlier Shelby product; but please do not refrain from posting more pictures.
One may use the report feature and request that the thread be moved to the antique pre-1933 forum; (not duplicated).
Also, perhaps the wanted forum may be appropriate for your friend who wants the bike.

Is there any letter stamping that precedes the serial sequence numbers?

Any specifics on info that you need?

Last edited:
I am interested in the age and value of the bike. How desirable are these older bikes. I researched the patent on kick stand, it was approved in 1934, too bad they didn't take off, it locks in place so the bike won't roll. I didn't see any letters in front of serial #, will look again

That kick stand, what little I see of it, looks like the one on my 53 huffy. It may not be as new as mine, but in my opinion it is newer than your bike. You have a clip hanging from your rear fender for a drop stand. That was probably the original stand. In my opinion your hub is older than 1934. I'm pretty sure New Departure was up to model D by 1934, or at least model C. Whatever you have there is a predecessor from an earlier time.

Last edited:
The kick stand was likely a later addition, added sometime before the bicycle was repainted black.
The value of girls frames is generally less than for the boys; and the value of the shorter frames is generally less than for the full size adult models; and the odd 26” Lightweight might be another detractor.
Some might suggest that the value could be in parting out the bike; but it has mostly smaller juvenile girls parts — maybe some badge collectors would be interested in the older head badge.

Perhaps the most important value placed on the bicycle, would be that of your friend who wants the bike, presumably for aesthetic looks (given or received) and practical (riding) reasons, rather than an investment for retirement? One might also compare antique 28” ladies bicycles or frames that accommodate modern 28”wheels; or classic 26” balloon or middleweight tire ladies bicycles.

How old is the bike. There is an online website for the history of Shelby Cycle.
Shelby may have had a slow or false start in 1923-25, (depending upon reorganization); starting with building bicycles for actual retailers. Later, Shelby would sell bicycles with their own Shelby Cycle Co. label.

To me, the bike just looks late-1920’s or very-early 1930’s (for a Shelby); i.e., when the upstart Shelby Cycle Co. would build upon existing proven 1900’s utilitarian designs, and not take risks in experimenting with new fangled Art Deco or streamlining.

Last edited:
We know of some manufacturers used one letter for marking one year of production, in a 1-to-1 sense; and that system seems easiest to understand and remember; and it is the first model used in attempting to reverse engineer a manufacturer’s system for marking serial numbers. For Shelby, it does not work so well.

We also know of at least one manufacturer (CWC) who used more than one letter for marking in a year; so assuming all manufacturers used one letter to designate one year — is not necessarily so, as may be the case with Shelby Cycle, in years when production exceeded 100,000 bicycles (e.g., 5-digits serial numbers).

The website referred to earlier indicates production exceeded 100,000 in the middle 1930’s, so it is difficult to extrapolate backwards from the best known dates and serial numbers — e.g., between 1925 and 1935 are 11 years but the “M” or “N” serial number prefixes are the 13th and 14th letters; and were any letters skipped(?).

The letter “C” prefix to the serial numbers might indicate the 3rd year of production, (but starting when?); one might guess at a sequence such as A=1925; B=1926; and C=1927; but those are just guessing.

Shelby Cycle may have re-used the same letters later (after a re-start or going through the alphabet once already), but the bicycle style just looks very old fashioned to me, (i.e., not a 1940’s wartime model?).

Another clue might be when Shelby registered the Shelco trademark?

Last edited:
Back