When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Shockease Springer Fork - Help!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pedalp

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello and Happy Holidays! This call is to the Shelby Community. I need help! Recently I purchased a wartime Shelby Shockease Springer. Fork assembly of course was grease dirty, so I began the tear down. I have a problem disassembling the bolt which travels thru the spring. I can turn the outside nut, but the inner bolt turns with it. I tried to insert a HD screwdriver with my left hand while using a wrench for the outer bolt using my right hand.
No give; the screw driver doesn't engage the slot of the bolt that well and slips out of the slot when I tried to put some weight into turning it. I don't want to strip the slot thus making the step worse.
Anyone out there with the experience and expertise on how to get around this problem? I'll be happy to send out the fork to anyone with the proper tools that can tackle it.
Appreciate the feedback.
Many Thanks!
Wendell
Shockease.2.jpg

Shockease.3.jpg

Shockease.2.jpg

Shockease.3.jpg

If the slotted bolt head is toast inside the steer tube, grab the exposed bottom of the threaded shaft (where the safety-pin hole & flat spot is) with a vice grip, torch the heck out of the nut, and try to unscrew it....

Wendell, try holding the best fitting screwdriver you can find in a vise. Lots of pressure can be exerted with the forks upside down. PB Blaster or other secret sauce helps to loosen things up and heat will really do the trick. Try a shaft through the cotter pin hole to aid in keeping the bolt from turning. Finally, if it still won't go, cut a slot in the bottom of the bolt to fit a killer screwdriver. If all fails cut the bolt, that is unless you can get a nut splitter.

Last edited:
Back