When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sherrell Classic Estate Sale Find

-
I have the store display bike..one heavy sob in back ground..
20210205_150033.jpg

Mark, is that Elgin the one i sold you at the Iron Ranch meet a few years ago? Still think it is a nice original bike. Jay

I want 1 of these someday; even if jus' for a showpiece but I like the unique look of it. It's not a Beautiful bike but has it's weird kitschy koolness. Any info on what these are built around etc???

My bike was an unfinished primered bike. It had never been finished. Supposedly quality control was beyond "iffy" at Sherrell at times. The bike is two fiberglass halves joined at the middle front to rear. The wheels on mine would not really spin because body was hitting the wheels. I split the thing in half and realigned them correctly. Under the primer was holes on the seam that were ground down trying to fix the alignment difference. Broke through and just stuffed in filler. The prep guy that did that might not have lasted the week.
Beyond crude. The heavy weight is because the entire frame and fork is 1/4" flat bar stock and angle iron arc welded together. Wasn't even primed.
With fiberglass off the inner frame had been welded crooked with missing welds. Did the metal work and attached the body. Then countless hours doing glass work and reshaping. Another problem is there is NO room to remove the wheels or crank so everything has to be clearanced for disassembly. Leading to a nice paint job. Good looking thing after all that!

I used to like a challenge!. Bought it at Pomona swap meet for $200. It had NOS all white Carlisle Lightning Darts. Sold them for $200. Bought myself a challenge.

Last edited:
My bike was an unfinished primered bike. It had never been finished. Supposedly quality control was beyond "iffy" at Sherrell at times. The bike is two fiberglass halves joined at the middle front to rear. The wheels on mine would not really spin because body was hitting the wheels. I split the thing in half and realigned them correctly. Under the primer was holes on the seam that were ground down trying to fix the alignment difference. Broke through and just stuffed in filler. The prep guy that did that might not have lasted the week.
Beyond crude. The heavy weight is because the entire frame and fork is 1/4" flat bar stock and angle iron arc welded together. Wasn't even primed.
With fiberglass off the inner frame had been welded crooked with missing welds. Did the metal work and attached the body. Then countless hours doing glass work and reshaping. Another problem is there is NO room to remove the wheels or crank so everything has to be clearanced for disassembly. Leading to a nice paint job. Good looking thing after all that!

I used to like a challenge!. Bought it at Pomona swap meet for $200. It had NOS whitewall Carlisle Lightning Darts. Sold them for $200. Bought myself a challenge.
Might of gotten lucky with the ride-ability of mine. Mine rides well, and feels like a boat. Some what of a steam roller type of ride. No clearance issues what so ever

You got lucky I think that is the reason mine never got past primer. I spoke to a guy that worked with Dave Sherrell. He said build quality was hit and miss. The guys who wanted to do that type of labor at that time were not most skilled or reliable. Tough work day in and out. You are right about the ride. When mine was set up and done it was an impressive ride. Once all that weight got rolling it felt like a Cadillac!

Back