When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shimano 3CC How to adjust

-

Olebike

On Training Wheels
Hi all, and Thanks for accepting me in group.
I got this vintage city bike with a shimano 3 speed, 3CC. Bike ran and shifted just beautifull. Took wheel off to change tyres, not worn at all, but rotted from age.

Now i am not sure if, and how I should adjust shifter. All 3 gears are there. The shifter at wheel doesnt look like any I can find on www.
Is it possible it should be adjusted in 3rd? When arrows meet at set, shifter at handlebar needs to be in 3rd, and i did not have the cable off.
I assume the little hole is to check shifter is fully seated on threaded axel. Anyone know this shifter and procedure? Thanks in advance

IMG_20230315_162247.jpg

Not sure about that one, but the Shimano 333 is adjusted in 2nd. The 333 toggle has a window instead of arrows. Try setting the shift lever to 2nd and then adjust the arrows to match up and see what happens. Good luck.

Hi. Manny thanks for your reply. Then there will be no 3rd, because at the position where the arrows are ligned up, the pushrod is all the way out, and the arm is the utmost rearward position. Since it is not possible to slide the shifter longer in on the axel, it id not possible to place it in a place where 2nd is engaged, when arm is at alignment point of the arrows. That is what makes me wonder. Has anyone seen this shifter before?

I have seen it and worked on several. When I thread the toggle on the axle, I only go until it just contacts the plunger and then I set it with the lock nut. Maybe you have the toggle too far on.

Maybe someone shortened the plunger some time on its life, only it doesnt look like it.
This one is not threaded on axle, it is just pushed om, and held im place by a 10 mm bolt from below, tightened against threads on axel. If i position arm/cable so alignment marks match in 2nd, the arm will not move long enough to go in 3rd.

When shifter is all the way in, and at the marks in 3rd gear at handlebar selector, it barely touches plunger. All 3 gears function, does that mean I am good to go, and will not ruin anything.

How can I feel if it is missadjusted?

If it was working correctly before you took it apart then the parts must be correct. If it functions in all 3 gears, I would think you must have it correctly adjusted.

Back