When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shimano Deore SP

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

WVBicycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
Has anyone ever seen Shimano Deore SP I got an old Scwhinn Voyager this morning and it has Shimano Deore SP derailleurs and shifters. I know that Deore was introduced in 1982 as a touring group but I wonder if the SP is a few years older. Any info and help is appreciated . I am debating if I should replace the Deore SP parts and keep them.
33825671573_82d08e341d_z.jpg
34250052080_cf672fb289_z.jpg
34473287602_7481068545_z.jpg

I found this - http://sandro.knot.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/voyageur-comparison.pdf

'82 was the only year the Voyageur (SP) used Deore (GS - long cage) RD.
I'm guessing the SP mark was Voyageur SP and not for the Deore grade.
The chain wrap of the long cage is needed for the triple crank.

EBC5DB0C-B1E0-480D-B203-339926BE441F.jpg

I also think the GS (long cage) was probably proprietary for Schwinn before it was introduced to the general market a year later, which corresponded with Schwinn going to SunTour on the Voyageur.
Schwinn went back to Shimano in '86 with SIS indexing, then tried SunTour XCE indexing in 1990.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Bulldog I have a Shogun 500 with the 82 Deore touring group and it looks alike to the SP stuff so maybe your right on the SP marking.

Back