When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shimano Nexus Inter 4 Shifter

-
Okay fellas, I now have a functioning 4 speed Esquire bike. Thank you very much, piercer_99. Since you told me there should be no problem using a grip shifter, I pulled the one off an old Raleigh that a neighbor donated to me a couple of years ago. I stripped the cable housing off the Esquire as it runs full length and used it on the cable off the Raleigh. I lubed the cable and housing with WD-40 and 3 in One oil and slid the old cable through it with no problem! Re-assembled everything and rode off. Much to my amazement, all of the gears work flawlessly now. You guys probably won't think this bike is much to look at, but I just love riding it. I think maybe it's the seat and handle bar positioning for me. Here's some pictures of the cursed shifter and the internal parts. I won't go into detail about how many time I put it back together and took it apart, because I lost count! I tried several different variations, and NONE of them worked once I put it back into place and aligned the red marks on the hub while keeping it in 4th gear. So, you can now see my Esquire with the grip shifter on it. Now I gotta find something else to keep me occupied and frustrated. Neighbor never brought the moped over. I may try to frankenstein a bike just for the heck of it. I'll let you know. Thanks again to everyone who offered help and opinions.

20190417-173446.jpg
20190417-173620.jpg
20190417-173750.jpg
20190417-173814.jpg

20190417-173839.jpg
20190417-173912.jpg
20190417-174015.jpg

20190418-181610.jpg
20190418-181623.jpg
20190418-181639.jpg
20190418-181823.jpg

Last edited:
Rat Rod Bikes appears to be dead. they would not let me sign up either.
I will let the head rat know you guys are trying to sign up, he is a friend of mine.

I just spoke with him.

Your email provider is blocking the emails from rrb, just send him an email directly at

steve@ratrodbikes dot com except take out the dot and drop a . and no spaces.

or pm me and I will get you the info.

Last edited:
Okay fellas, I now have a functioning 4 speed Esquire bike. Thank you very much, piercer_99. Since you told me there should be no problem using a grip shifter, I pulled the one off an old Raleigh that a neighbor donated to me a couple of years ago. I stripped the cable housing off the Esquire as it runs full length and used it on the cable off the Raleigh. I lubed the cable and housing with WD-40 and 3 in One oil and slid the old cable through it with no problem! Re-assembled everything and rode off. Much to my amazement, all of the gears work flawlessly now. You guys probably won't think this bike is much to look at, but I just love riding it. I think maybe it's the seat and handle bar positioning for me. Here's some pictures of the cursed shifter and the internal parts. I won't go into detail about how many time I put it back together and took it apart, because I lost count! I tried several different variations, and NONE of them worked once I put it back into place and aligned the red marks on the hub while keeping it in 4th gear. So, you can now see my Esquire with the grip shifter on it. Now I gotta find something else to keep me occupied and frustrated. Neighbor never brought the moped over. I may try to frankenstein a bike just for the heck of it. I'll let you know. Thanks again to everyone who offered help and opinions.

View attachment 982737View attachment 982738View attachment 982739View attachment 982740
View attachment 982741View attachment 982742View attachment 982743
View attachment 982744View attachment 982745View attachment 982746View attachment 982747

Great news, that is awesome that your bike is working well.

Glad I could offer some assistance. Enjoy the ride.

Pierce

Hey Pierce, I sent Steve an email and will let you know if I get signed up. I like a LOT of the custom bikes that they have there. Very creative people!

I took it for a short ride yesterday and had to do a LOT of peddling on the way home in 2nd gear because of the 25mph headwind. Riding out was easy and fast, but not coming home. I won't be doing that again anytime soon. LOL

Thanks for the links, Archie, but it's a moot point now. I actually prefer the grip shifter I put on it. I tossed that cursed shifter in the recycle bin this morning. Adios to that!

Back