When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHIPPING A FRAME

-

Mike Hughes

Look Ma, No Hands!
Got a few post war Schwinn frames to sell, any advise on the cheapest way to ship these ? Back in the 80's I shipped them unboxed. I would just plastic tie a piece of sheet metal large enough for a shipping label to a bare frame and never had a problem. I shipped about a dozen that way, not sure that would work these days. Of course these were frames needing restoration. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Last edited:
Bike flights has worked for me, if it's a bare frame and you are going to get a box from a LBS it might need to be cut down to save on cubes ( no need to pay to ship air). I like to price my junk with actual shipping costs. Just advertise with your price plus actual shipping cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure who's cheapest to ship, but you can try to get a kids bike box from walmart or a bike shop so you don't have to cut up a full size box.

I shipped a frame in a 20" kids bike box with a big pink huffy girls bike picture on it. The buyer thought that was amusing.

Bike flights has worked for me, if it's a bare frame and you are going to get a box from a LBS it might need to be cut down to save on cubes ( no need to pay to ship air). I like to price my junk with actual shipping costs. Just advertise with your price plus actual shipping cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help, never heard of them, checked with them and you are right they are the best price. I signed up with them, thanks again for taking the time to help. Mike

Not sure who's cheapest to ship, but you can try to get a kids bike box from walmart or a bike shop so you don't have to cut up a full size box.

I shipped a frame in a 20" kids bike box with a big pink huffy girls bike picture on it. The buyer thought that was amusing.

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to help. Mike

I use bike flights if the paint is really nice I put gray pipe insulation on it. I also cut a piece of 2 x 4 about 4 inches long and place it in between the rear stays so they dont get smashed together. Secure in place I use drywall screws and washers where axle goes. I make my own box out of large pieces of cardboard. It looks like the exact shape of the frame when I am done.

Back