When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

37fleetwood

Riding a '37 Fleetwood
I wrote this quite some time ago and never posted it. so here it is.

Ok, I've decided to try to be helpful again so watch out!
I have seen the need to help people with just how to pack an old bike for shipping. this should not be used for restored bikes but works great for decent to crapy original paint as well as any bike needing total restore. By doing this I take no responsibility for any damage but each person should adapt this to his or her own situation making modification where needed.

step one: obviously is to get a bike to pack and a box to pack it in. boxes should be relatively easy to get through your local bike shop. they should not charge for a box. make sure you get all the crap they took off the new mountain bike that just came out, it will be very useful later.

PICT0136.jpg

step two: pull off the peddles, seat, and handle bar and attach them to the rear wheel(notice I put one peddle back on backwards? this keeps the crank and wheel from going too far around with the handle bar attached. this could cause problems though you can just attach both peddles to the wheel.) with some zip ties, tie wire, or whatever you have handy. it must be strong enough to take the trip without allowing the peddles to get loose and beat the bike to death during the ride across the country.

PICT0140.jpg

step three: pull off the front wheel and fender and tie it to the frame on the side opposite the chain guard. this is where you will start to use the stuff from the mountain bike that originally came in the box. put a few pieces of frame protector around the frame tubes where the fender or wheel would touch. if your box doesn't have any just use thin cardboard like a cerial box or something tough. bubble wrap can wear through and mar the paint. this box had thin plastic pieces and that really dense hard foam stuff. hopefully you will find a plastic piece that fits in the front axle drop out in the box. if not try to get one this keeps the forks from poking through the box. check at the bike shop if you need one. make sure it is really jammed up in there good. also hopefully there will be a few axle protectors to pop on the front axle to keep it from going through the side of the box. put on as many as you get with your box. better safe than sorry but really the important one is the one against the box.

PICT0141.jpg

step four: this bike being a Schwinn Tiger had a front rack which I put over the front of the bike out of the way. I wrapped the leg on the side of the front wheel with cardboard so it wouldn't hurt the paint and zip tied it securely in place.I also had a piece of foam that went around the head tube so I used it. if you don't get one you can wrap it in cardboard or if it doesn't look to be in danger just skip it altogether. with the rack there I thought it best to use it.

PICT0142.jpg

step five: hopefully you got a box big enough because you are ready to drop it in the box. once in the box look around for potential problems and add packing or move offending parts as needed. tape the box shut and don't be stingy with the tape. make sure it won't come open during the trip. remember UPS policy is that it has to be able to withstand being dropped from 3 feet and be able to have 120 pounds stacked on it.

Sorry I thought I had a photo of the bike in the box but couldn't find it.

if you have a bike with a rear rack I usually leave it on the bike as it is not in the way of anything and doesnt need moving. remember the less items detatched from the bike the less things to fly around loose beating the crap out of the bike. if it is a tank bike, you'll need to decide if the tank is in danger of getting hit on the bike or if it is best to take it off and put it in a box. I try to leave it on the bike if I can because if it is in a separate box there is a chance that during the ride it could shift and get damaged by the bike bouncing around and hitting it. I usually just wrap it in cardboard and taping it securely so it the cardboard can't move.

thanks for looking.
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott that info should be a sticky or some of permanent post, seems like alot of people still dont know how to ship a bike PROPERLY.

Thanks alot for your effort, hope it is appreciated by the people that need it.

55 vette

I had a biked boxed up and from MI to MA both UPS and FedEx wanted about 80 bucks. Bastards. Dimensions are 51 x 8 x 30 and it was 50 pounds..

Where did the pictures go? I've recieved a few bikes that could have been packed better. This could be a great resource for those people that are reluctant to ship.

Great idea for a thread. I commit to add my two cents soon enough....even if you don't care to read it.

Just make double darn sure you take the fork off of the bike and put a spacer between the dropouts. A fork without an axle is pretty delicate. Greyhound is definitely the cheapest for shipping, but someone has to drop the box off at the depot and you have to go pick it up. Most expensive is Craters and Freighters, BUT they do sterling work, will pick the the bike up from anywhere, work around the sellers schedule pack it up and deliver it to your living room. Great for those "local pick-up only" dream bikes and other awkward items.
http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/

Last edited:
Somebody sent a bike in Europe? The cheapest price I found, $ 600. I should be glad of any link. Thank you.

Back