When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping Help

-
nice post! i am glad there is this info online. i never shipped a bicycle before. i really didn't know how much it would cost, i thought it would be more than 80 bucks.

Hi, Who is the best shipper these days? I'm buying a very pretty Fiesta from Missouri and am trying to steer the seller in the right direction.Thanks for any help.

Pat

Only thing I do differently is I bought a roll of 3000 feet of plastic strapping and the tightening and clamping tools from Harbor Freight and I put 2 bands around the box. Tools and strapping didn't cost much and I think it really helps keep things secure. I probably won't live long enough to use all the strapping.

Where did the pictures go? I've recieved a few bikes that could have been packed better. This could be a great resource for those people that are reluctant to ship.

By doing this I take no responsibility for any damage but each person should adapt this to his or her own situation making modification where needed.
vbulletin

vbulletin

vbulletin

Great topic.
I have called the local bike shops and have been told that boxes are not given out. Nor will they sell any. Have asked if I catch them on a day where they receive a bike can I purchase it and have never received a call back.
These retail shops are in for the revenue of their retail sales not helping the private seller it seems.

Will the ups or fedex store have such awkward bulky boxes? And the packing needed to secure the bike?
Aren't Bike boxes equiped with added wood cross braces? I would guess that just adds to the weight.

I would guess it is advised to add insurance to the freight costs.

Interesting post. I want more <(*J*)>

Pictures too

U S Post Office

The U S Post office will take a box under 70#. I'm not sure of the dimensions, But I've shipped several whole bikes that way and they're cheaper than UPS and Fexex.

ups and fedex boxes

after researching the UPS and FedEx store websites, I did find that UPS have a fairly cheap used bike box for 40.00
But Fedex is quite pricey.
I'll keep on the local bike shops, maybe I approached them the wrong way.

having offers on the 3 bikes I have listed here for trade or sale, I'll have to consider this shipping task.
It's so much easier to buy them and ride away. But these bikes need a good home for sure. They are being neglected in my garage.

Thanks for the info

Back