When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Part Out Earliest Known Iver Johnson Balloon Tire Bicycle, Rare Parts?

-
You're joking right? Have things just gotten a little too boring for you on the CABE and you just needed some action.

I'm with you Boris. I get the feeling that this post is just to stir the pot. You tout the bike as "the earliest known Iver Johnson" and then ask if you should part it out?
I'm sure there are some members who would love to get some of the earliest known Iver Johnson parts to complete their own earliest known Iver Johnson bicycles. Because there are so many of them out there just waiting for a chance like this. Right.
In the end it's your decision and yours alone to make.

[sarc on] Yes absolutely. After all, it's for the good of the hobby. [sarc off] :p:eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'll defer to the experts but this bike appears to have gone through a bit of updating over the years.

Frank,

I would suggest letting this post settle in for a while & let some real Iver experts weigh in. I'm not one but I have looked at a lot of Ivers. The other thread where your pics are was all over the place with no real focus on your bike. I'm hoping you get much more focus on your bike with this new posting. Here are my first observations:

• Not sure the rack is that special as it appears to be an altered normal rack
  • Chainring is like no Iver I've ever seen, is it a Cyclo associated with the derailleur or an Iver product. Others were producing 1/2" pitch chainrings earlier such as Racycle, Mead, etc. so the pitch doesn't concern me just the pattern unless it is specific to the Cyclo & second I would check the crank to see if it is Iver
  • Handlebar style had been on earlier Ivers
  • Schwinn front drum was probably added later by someone, could be original owner customization but I just do not believe Iver would have done this as they were so intent on making everything possible on their bikes
  • Saddle looks earlier teens rather than 33-34' but I am definitely not an expert on Brooks saddles
  • Real question on the bike to me is the Cyclo, is it original to the bike or was it added by a later owner

These are just my observations and my questions I would want to answer if the bike were mine so not trying to trash the bike but just give observations & point out questions I would want answered.

It does appear to be a Balloon Truss Bridge and the first I have ever seen. It is super cool period!!!!!!!! I would not part it for that reason. Add to that it appears to have been a custom, the question is an Iver custom or an early owner custom. I can't answer that but what I will say is it appears to be a truly unique custom built bike that should not be parted especially if you can document all the parts are era (33-34' years or shortly thereafter) appropriate. If you can do that, then it is a real "time capsule" custom that should be kept together. My 2 cents anyway. Good luck!!!!!! - Gary

Last edited:
Okay, Okay, It will sold as it sits!

I will not part out this bike, as it belongs in a collection or museum as it sits.

My speculation is that this bike was custom made in the 30's by someone who was very wealthy. The parts are beyond rare. I will keep it together. It is a time capsule to say the least.

Thanks for all of the input!

F.A.

I'm getting ready to sell

The Key Question is: Should I sell this rare bike all together, or part it out? This would make an incredible museum piece.
What is your opinion? Thanks, F.A.

Before I reply,
I ask, what is your goal with the sale?

No fake Indian tears for this one

I don't consider myself an expert on Ivers but even I can tell that this is some kind of Iver/clunker concoction that someone threw together. By all means please part it out and put it out of it's misery.

Last edited:
I don't consider myself an expert on Ivers but even I can tell that this is some kind of Iver/clunker concoction that someone threw together. By all means please part it out and put it out of it's misery.

I totally agree. Looks like a homemade, hodge-podge klunker. Nice frame though. Restore some grace to this bike & sell off the silly parts & start fresh with that frame.

I think if you part it out I would like to buy all the parts if the price is right but I would want all the parts cut in half so they will fit into a smaller shipping carton thus saving money on shipping costs.

Back