When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Part Out Earliest Known Iver Johnson Balloon Tire Bicycle, Rare Parts?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I want to see the steerer on that fork. I've got $10 on it being lengthened to fit that frame.

From anything I've seen a 2 speed Corbin hub was the only option for "Speeds" on an Iver.

The fenders look like they're 28" raingutters. If it were a factory job I would think the 26" fenders would have been used with spacers.

Kind of neat though.

$18K neat. NO. But good luck to you!

If you do part it :) I'd like a chance on the frame and associated Iver Parts. You can sell all those other rare goodies to someone who's been searching for them.

Looks like a part together job. The saddle has a 1940s era tag on it (solid metal without serif font). It almost looks as if an American saddle carriage was merged with a later Brooks top. Early Brooks had a die-cut type badge on the back, 1930s Brooks would have a solid tag with exaggerated serifs on the font, and 1940s-early 50s solid without serifs. This is the third type- solid without serifs. The Sturmey rear drum should provide a date and model listing. I'm not sure if the listing says what it is other than a drum. K series with quadrant would be 1930s or a bit earlier, AB would be late 30s or later. If you look at the left chainstay by the brake, there's a cable mounted by yarn with no frame-mounted bosses and what appear to be a homebrew conversion of the rod mount for the drum brake to mesh with a cable. Bikes meant to take a cable with have clamps or bosses mounted to the frame to hold the housing for the cable. Bikes meant for rods will have elbows and linkages set up. This one has yarn, so I thnk someone wanted gears and stronger braking and home mounted this stuff. I'd have no problem parting that bike- long ago compromised. The reason no one has seen this sort of mixture is that it's a probably a homebrew custom. What you do have is a lot of pretty old, interesting parts attached to the bike.

Last edited:
Thanks To Everyone

This bike is a real one of a kind. As far as I've learned since having it, there are no known earlier serial number Iver balloon tire bicycles. As far as the parts and composition of this bicycle, it looks like something from Doc Brown's workshop in Back To The Future.
It has parts that no-one ever sees. The drivetrain and wheels are Aerocycle/Autocycle era. Two shiftinging mechanisms with internal and extrenal functions isn't something you see every day.

All of the parts are rare, in any event.

There is bound to be a lot of discussion about this one.

Best regards, F.A.

Relisting this evening

WITH MODIFICATIONS TO MY LISTING, AS WELL AS NUMEROUS ADDENDUMS, I AM RELISTING TONIGHT WITH A MUCH LOWER STARTING PRICE ($1500.00).

Take care, F.A.

WITH MODIFICATIONS TO MY LISTING, AS WELL AS NUMEROUS ADDENDUMS, I AM RELISTING TONIGHT WITH A MUCH LOWER STARTING PRICE ($1500.00).

Take care, F.A.

Good luck with your sale Frank!!!!! Great bike for someone at the lower starting price. - Gary

Geat bike but

The value is in the parts not the bike. Its great to try to sell it complete as a first option. I am not buying into the early ballooner part though. There are far too many later parts for that thery to hold water. But never the less its got great character and parts.

Lower Starting Price Will Be $1000.00!

Correction, The lower starting price will be $1000.00. This should get some action going.
Best regards. F.A.

Back