When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should the RR Whl. Tensioners be bent like this on my Miss America?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

popawheelie

Finally riding a big boys bike
show this one.jpg
show this one.jpg

Hello fellow bike collectors, I've got a 1939 or 40 Elgin Miss America. The Adjusters which attach to the Rear Axle bow in towards the center of the hub once they are correctly tightened.
I wish to know, is that the way it's supposed to be? It seems strange that they bow in, so I wish to get your feedback.
I've taken it apart and put it backtogether, and that's the way it ends up. Is this common, or am I somehow not putting it together right?
They are not over tightened, so that's not it. What do you think?
Thanks for any Miss America collectors opinions,
Michael S.

Yikes!
Yes you've got them on there in the wrong position. The adjusting screws should be pointed AWAY from the rear hub towards the back of the bike, the little "wing nut" looking things should seat into the ends of the dropouts...You might do some damage if you attempt to ride your bike the way you have it set up now...
I'll try to find a detail pic of how the set up is supposed to look. In the meantime search the net for pics of Miss America bikes like yours that might help out...
Good luck!

Hi Bud, thanks for the response. The photo shows the adjusting screws are facing to the back of the bike, and the Wingnut Caps are covering the ends of the dropouts. The back of the bike is to the right, front of bike to the left in this image.
Currently I have the round end of the adj. screws attached to the axle bolt, and they are on the outside of the bike frame next to the bike rack arms. Perhaps I should attach them to the INSIDE of the bike frame?

I have looked at other MA's on Google, but there are no photos this close up of the rear hub etc. Any help would be appreciated as this is going through full restoration , but this detail needs to be dealt with first.
Thanks again,
Michael Siddons my email is [email protected].

Something there is not right. Maybe the legs of the rack should go on after the fender struts? Not correct!!

Thats odd because I've seen a few Elgins over the years where the chain adjusters were slanted like yours, must be a common mistake.

Just remenber they are chain adjusters,so they have to push the wheel back to take the slack out of the chain and center the wheel.

I couldn't find a detailed pic either, but after your explanation I see what you mean. Yes maybe try putting the "washer ends" on the INSIDE of the frame, perhaps that will straighten the adjusting screws out....
Good luck!

I looked at my Twin 60 and a girls Elgin and mine weren't bent in like that. On the Twin 60 it looks like the round washer part of the tensioner was inside the axle slot on the frame. I didn't have my glasses on when I looked and with the carrier supports plus the rear speedo drive basket it was hard to see. I'll try to look again today and possibly take a picture then post it here.

Tensioner pictures

I looked closer at the tensioners on my Twin-60 and I can see that the washer part is mounted outside and up against the rear dropout. I added a couple of pictures so maybe you can see that they're not bent. I also included one of the bike but it's not a great photo.
DSCF1122.jpg
DSCF1124.jpg
DSCF1123.jpg

Miss America

I went out and looked at the one of the Miss Americas that I have that is assembled and although it's missing the tensioners I see the wide curved fender brace is slightly bent out for clearance around the tensioners if they were on the bike. I also looked at another woman's Elgin with the tensioners on it and there was a thick flat washer between the tensioner and the fender brace which allowed it to clear the tensioner.

Back