When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should We Continue (or Stop) Looking for Serial Numbers and Letters?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Should We Continue (or Stop) Looking for Serial Numbers and Letters?

• Yes (continue)

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • No (stop)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd like to keep an open mind

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • No comment (too controversial)

• Other (please state)

• Total voters
Another Bludgeon..
No, not another bludgeon, instead a noble and reverent study of the past. Thank you so much for sharing the Pierce thread. I had never seen it. I haven't been able to read the entire thread yet, but it is beautiful. I hope to finish it after supper (Shepherd's Pie). Best regards, Kit

This subject and thread turned out pretty good in the end... Let's celebrate the collective knowledge of everyone personally as well as our Bicycle History Organizations' data as well...Maybe use this thread now as an opportunity to link all the Prewar Bicycle Manufacturers serial number logs & discussion threads in one place. @C M Gerlach I also really enjoy diving into the Pierce/Emblem thread as it covers both serial numbers and general discussions about the companies. The Davis thread is also awesome but there is no serial number list kept that I know of. Miami has the deepest dive spirited discussion but may be missing any posted serial number list...Long Live The Cabe... Long live everyone.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/brief-history-of-miami-manufacturing-and-cycle-co.109357/

Last edited:
Not a matter of comfort. Blocking someone is just a form of passive aggression and frankly, the easy way out. I prefer to go toe to toe until you either resolve your differences or reach an understanding that you will simply not see eye to eye and move on.
Blocking those that either just add white noise or have nothing worthwhile to contribute saves time not having to sift through the crap. I also ignore threads for the same reason.

This subject and thread turned out pretty good in the end... Let's celebrate the collective knowledge of everyone personally as well as our Bicycle History Organizations' data as well...Maybe use this thread now as an opportunity to link all the Prewar Bicycle Manufacturers serial number logs & discussion threads in one place. @C M Gerlach I also really enjoy diving into the Pierce/Emblem thread as it covers both serial numbers and general discussions about the companies. The Davis thread is also awesome but there is no serial number list kept that I know of. Miami has the deepest dive spirited discussion but may be missing any posted serial number list...Long Live The Cabe... Long live everyone.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/brief-history-of-miami-manufacturing-and-cycle-co.109357/
You could not have said it better.
This site, and the instant researchable knowledge means a lot to some of us.

My favorite, is when original paint is ground off to reveal serial numbers and then a picture is shown and a "what is it?" is asked.
The bicycle companies weren't like the auto and gun companies, whose serial numbers were well documented and required.
Bicycle companies seem to wing it and were for internal consumption, with their numbers.
Huffman, during the '30's, made and used wild numbers to confuse their competition of how many of their bikes were actually made.
If you want to learn, look at the big picture, there were a lot of companies, lots of bikes made, millions.
Buy a bike if you like it, not because of some number.

The question posed by the OP was really a simple "Yes or No" question. I believe the answer is that we should do what makes us happy. But I have to ask myself this question: if I could get back all the time I frittered away worrying about serial numbers, what would I do with it? I'd be out "profiling" on my Phantom, wearing my Big Bopper shades, my cut-offs and my Jack Purcells. Cruisin' with my posse. Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket.

(Editor's comment: Serial Numbers are for Bean Counters)

Back