When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your NON-BICYCLE bicycle parts.

-
Interesting thread here. For your consideration, 1/4" copper tubing for brake cable casing and HVAC vent for taillight housing.

Tandem.jpg

Copper makes a LOUSY mount for anything on a bike. Fatigue sets in from vibration and it fails. Your front fender jams the front wheel and over the bars you go. Please wear a helmet...

Thanks for the tip. The copper is on the rear wheel and I don't anticipate putting a lot of miles on this bike.

Man, I love seeing all the creative ways you guys have used random bits and pieces on your bikes!

Here's one of my latest builds that makes use of a number of unconventional parts: my 1961 Murray Meteor Flite, Shoestring. I call it that because I built it on a shoestring budget of no more than $50, including the initial cost of the bike.
BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_main_SCALED.jpg

BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_detail1_SCALED.jpg

Most of my non-bicycle bicycle parts can all be seen towards the front of the bike.
I used a pair of shoestrings, stained in coffee to look older and dirtier than they really are, as handlebar streamers.
Next, I made a custom tank insert using some scrap plywoood and some fabric I cut out of an old pair of khaki work pants and stained to match the seat.
Finally, I took a VW emblem, an aluminum fence post topper, a bent spoon, and a little more plywood and stained khaki fabric, and made a custom "headlight" out of all the parts. I just found that they all fit together so well, that I simply though, "why not?" I also flipped the VW emblem upside-down, so it'd be an "M" for "Murray," and I guess an "A" for my first name.
BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_detail23_SCALED.jpg

BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_detail10_SCALED.jpg

BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_detail18_SCALED.jpg

BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_detail19_SCALED.jpg

BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_detail20_SCALED.jpg

BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_detail21_SCALED.jpg

BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_detail22_SCALED.jpg

No mirror on my hotrod (to hang dice from), so I put them in the rear view instead.

20190507_182744-01.jpeg

I love using unique pencil toppers as valve caps.

20191020_155815.jpg

20191020_155859.jpg

Found that a wrench made a perfect light bracket where I didn't want to use a fender.

20190806_201016-01.jpeg

And trash can lids make amazing hub caps.

20230329_091249.jpg

No mirror on my hotrod (to hang dice from), so I put them in the rear view instead.

View attachment 1812073

I love using unique pencil toppers as valve caps.

View attachment 1812074

View attachment 1812075

Found that a wrench made a perfect light bracket where I didn't want to use a fender.

View attachment 1812076

And trash can lids make amazing hub caps.

View attachment 1812078
Excellent parts usage! I especially love the idea of using pencil toppers as valve stem caps!

I remember when you started on that Pink Panther bike a couple years ago. I don't think I ever saw the completed build of it. You got a thread going on that one?

Excellent parts usage! I especially love the idea of using pencil toppers as valve stem caps!

I remember when you started on that Pink Panther bike a couple years ago. I don't think I ever saw the completed build of it. You got a thread going on that one?
Thanks! Yeah, the Pink Panther bike is 95% done. Need to wire up lights, and a couple paint flourishes, and ideally reconfigure the bracket for the fork.

Back