When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

-
IMG_7143.JPG
IMG_7145.JPG
View attachment 454646
Here is another 5 speed I added the front atom drum the front drums are really hard to come by I paid $325 for the
IMG_7146.JPG
front rim with hub only
Two other Cruiser 5 I restore

Actually, I think the tooling was shipped to Tennessee and the frames were welded up there. If you compare a Chicago frame and a Lawrenceburg frame side by side they're very close, but there are details that aren't the same, the main difference being the join between the chain stays and the bottom bracket. I used to work in manufacturing before Clinton 1 (NAFTA) and Bush 2 (CAFTA) so I tend to notice these things.
Can you Oilit take a picture of what you are talking about "the join between the chain stays and the bottom bracket" I can't picture it.
Thanks in advance..

Can you Oilit take a picture of what you are talking about "the join between the chain stays and the bottom bracket" I can't picture it.
Thanks in advance..

You can see the differences between a Lawrenceburg TN (Murray built) Schwinn frame vs. a Chicago Schwinn frame in the following pics (black frame is Murray, Chestnut frame is Chicago Schwinn:(

img_0564-jpg.jpg

chainstay-slag-rings-medium-jpg.jpg

Note the electro-forging slag rings on the chainstays in the Chicago frame. The chainstays on a Chicago frame are also pinched where they bend rearward of the kickstand mount and the bottom of the crank housing has a thick weld line, neither of which are present on a Murray built frame:

narrowed-chainstays-medium-jpg.jpg

bb-weld-seam-medium-jpg.jpg

You can see the differences between a Lawrenceburg TN (Murray built) Schwinn frame vs. a Chicago Schwinn frame in the following pics (black frame is Murray, Chestnut frame is Chicago Schwinn:(

img_0564-jpg.jpg

chainstay-slag-rings-medium-jpg.jpg

Note the electro-forging slag rings on the chainstays in the Chicago frame. The chainstays on a Chicago frame are also pinched where they bend rearward of the kickstand mount and the bottom of the crank housing has a thick weld line, neither of which are present on a Murray built frame:

narrowed-chainstays-medium-jpg.jpg

bb-weld-seam-medium-jpg.jpg
Good Pictures! Worth at LEAST a thousand words! I wish I had seen these when I first read about this.

What's a good price for one of these 5 speed cruisers? A neighbor has one for sale for $80 and I wondering if it's worth buying to flip it. I don't know the year but it's all original. I didn't want to seem to interested less he thought that something might be up. Comments ?

Thanks,
Ed

Back