When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

-
Found some black walls and a proper seat for my 82 cruiser 5. Thanks @Jorgesk8erdie

View attachment 1785337

View attachment 1785338

View attachment 1785339
You don't see many 1982 Schwinn Cruiser 5 to me these should have been the Deluxe Cruiser 5 with tube fork.
I see yours has the original 1982 Schwinn Wide-Angle Reflectors which were different from the earlier versions.
Same part No. 07 730 but improved for 1982.

1982 schwin.jpg

schwinn1.jpg

Fenders were or are added to these bikes. With correct schwinn ones, the rear braces will bolt to the frame lugs, not the rear wheel

Fenders were or are added to these bikes. With correct schwinn ones, the rear braces will bolt to the frame lugs, not the rear wheel
Schwinn Dealer installed Fenders were Add-on accessory, early versions didn't fit correct went to axle, then later version had proper fit and rear mounted to frame. early Spitfire / Klunker, late Cruiser

aspit.jpg

acrz.JPG

Last edited:
You don't see many 1982 Schwinn Cruiser 5 to me these should have been the Deluxe Cruiser 5 with tube fork.

The Deluxe Cruiser was a 2 year only model, (80 & 81) and came in single speed only with a Spring Fork, not a Tube Fork. Schwinn didn't use a tube fork on a Cruiser until the 83 model year, and they were all painted forks to match the frame, not chrome.

Here's the one I found a couple of days ago! A september 1978 Klunker. I'm going to do a full restoration on it because the paint is really bad and some of the parts are incorrect and/or missing.

View attachment 1868414

View attachment 1868415
Are you going to restore it to a Schwinn Klunker 5? ... Chainguard is obtainable from any Schwinn 26" middleweight,'78 - '82 Typhoon, Hollywood, Heavi-Duti...
Good Luck with Build.

Are you going to restore it to a Schwinn Klunker 5? ... Chainguard is obtainable from any Schwinn 26" middleweight,'78 - '82 Typhoon, Hollywood, Heavi-Duti...
Good Luck with Build.
Yes, absolutely! My $100 purchase is up to almost $400! I bought the enire positron set up from shifter to derailleur, got a chainguard coming, correct grips, tires already changed the seat and have correct pedals. Still need a correct front wheel and decals. Gently removed the original california bike license stickers. Im having them replicated also. Got it broke down into parts for cleaning and reassembly. Soon as the chain guard arrives, its off to the powder coater! I also need a klunker 5 decal if anyone knows where to get one!

Back