When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

-
That's definitely a Murray built frame. There was no Cruiser 5 in '83, so it should indeed be an '84 model. What is the 4-digit number stamped in the headbadge? That will indicate the day the bike was built, which is much more accurate for dating a bike than the serial number as that only indicates when the headtube was stamped before it was even welded into a frame.

The serial number starts with JU (September 1983) and the head badge stamp is 0184, which would be the 18th day of 1984 by my understanding, so you're right, it's a 1984, no question.

Hi all. I've been following this thread for awhile and it has got me thinking. I really like these bikes and want to put one together from parts, since finding a complete original is out of my price range. I went and dug through my stuff and found a frame that was originally candy red, in fact still is, but the paint is shot. It has the slightly curved (I believe, but will confirm tomorrow in the daylight) brake strap in the rear. My frame is dated DT, which I believe makes it April of 1982. Is this possibly one of those frames? Is it a Chicago built frame for sure? It's definitely wider in the rear section than the middleweight frames I compared it to. There are no special tabs for cable guides or anything. Is this maybe just a single speed frame? Not sure, I just want to identify it and possibly use it on my build. Wondering what else to look for to help figure out what it is. I can provide pics of anything you want to see that may help. Thank you in advance for any info, Danny

My understanding is that Chicago built frames until April of 1983 (DU serial number). Of bikes I have examined first hand, a Sidewinder from Feb. 1983 (BU) looked to be from Chicago and a Deluxe Varsity from June (FU) was from Lawrenceberg. Any electroforged Schwinn from 1982 would be from Chicago. If the front fork has a hole for a caliper brake, you probably have a 5 speed frame. The three speeds also used caliper brakes, but I don't think they built any three speed cantilever frame bikes after 1970. Or at least they didn't list any in the catalogs.

I really like those gum wall tires
I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but in the ad that Metacortex posted, there's one bike with gum walls and one with whitewalls, both sets Schwinn Studded Balloon.

Can anybody show an original 1980 Cruiser 5 caliper brake model with frame and badge date codes? I started looking at and saving links to them a couple years ago and found many '81 models but the only "1980" models I've seen were actually incorrectly identified '81 or later models like this one: http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1980-schwinn-cruiser-5-spicy-chestnut.62829/

For greater manufacturing flexibility (the flat bracket can mount fenders and/or brake, the radius bracket is fender only), with fewer frame SKUs.
I believe the strike at the factory was from Oct. 1980 to Feb. 1981. I bet that ties in somehow.

My understanding is that Chicago built frames until April of 1983 (DU serial number). Of bikes I have examined first hand, a Sidewinder from Feb. 1983 (BU) looked to be from Chicago and a Deluxe Varsity from June (FU) was from Lawrenceberg. Any electroforged Schwinn from 1982 would be from Chicago. If the front fork has a hole for a caliper brake, you probably have a 5 speed frame. The three speeds also used caliper brakes, but I don't think they built any three speed cantilever frame bikes after 1970. Or at least they didn't list any in the catalogs.
Ok cool, that's good info. Unfortunately, I don't have a fork or a chainguard, just a bare frame. I'm still pretty stoked to have it tho. Because I haven't ran across many late model heavyweight frames so I'm excited to build it up unless I find a frame fork and guard set to use first. Thank you for the info.

It looks like there's paint around the joints that doesn't match. Did you have to strip this bike? That's a new definition to "find"!
No the paint is worn off.It was an Arizona bike that I think was not well taken care of and weathered.

No the paint is worn off.It was an Arizona bike that I think was not well taken care of and weathered.
Oh, I see. So that's primer showing through. But the chrome looks perfect. And I bet primer will shine if you wax it!

Here's a Klunker 5 somebody's got for sale on EBay, ending tomorrow. It has a serial number beginning with KP, a headbadge stamp of 3218 and the single speed style fender brace that GTs58 pointed out, so it looks original and in nice shape. It's already priced out of my reach but it will be interesting to see what it goes for.

RK-3.jpg

RK-2.jpg

RK-8.jpg

RK-12.jpg

Back