When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

-
Here is a very early 1985 Cruiser 5 produced in Taiwan.
Serial number L841010580 under the bottom bracket. First three digits, L= November, 84 is the year.
Badge date 3474 Dec. 12, 1984
This is the normal situation for the beginning of Schwinn's model year change over.

So Murray and Taiwan were producing Cruisers for Schwinn at the same time using Xlobsterman's girls example for the Murray reference that has the SN SB500484 and a badge # 0635

1643265397559.png

1643265416445.png

1643265442386.png

Not mine.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of ATOM "Front" Expander / Drum Brake... Brake arm side with cable connection.
The second photo is the comparison with "Rear" on top.

View attachment 1529436

View attachment 1529441
Thanks for the picture reference, I found the “expander” to switch out but it didn’t come with the piece that the cable goes through. Can you or anyone tell me what part it is that I need, thanks

Here is a very early 1985 Cruiser 5 produced in Taiwan.
Serial number L841010580 under the bottom bracket. First three digits, L= November, 84 is the year.
Badge date 3474 Dec. 12, 1984
This is the normal situation for the beginning of Schwinn's model year change over.

So Murray and Taiwan were producing Cruisers for Schwinn at the same time using Xlobsterman's girls example for the Murray reference that has the SN SB500484 and a badge # 0635

View attachment 1557591

Not mine.

I have seen some with the SN on the BB but most of the Taiwan ones the SN is on the left rear dropout and starts with a "Y" then the next number is the last of the year. Xlobstermans is a bit of an oddball. Havent seen an 85 with the SN on the headtube. And unlike the one you posted with the Taiwan forks that have fender braces his has the 83 Schwinn forks.

I have seen some with the SN on the BB but most of the Taiwan ones the SN is on the left rear dropout and starts with a "Y" then the next number is the last of the year. Xlobstermans is a bit of an oddball. Havent seen an 85 with the SN on the headtube. And unlike the one you posted with the Taiwan forks that have fender braces his has the 83 Schwinn forks.

MY theory is the bike I just got was a bike built with using the last of the parts from the Murray contract with Schwinn. It is too bad the serial number letters are illegible. But the head badge code puts in the first quarter of 85.

this is a nice one is are you keeping the wheels original or do you want a wheel set for another cruiser five you have

I want the wheel set for another 84 Cruiser 5 that I have. It came with a set of alloy wheels, and I want to get it back to the original wheels if I can find some?

Back