When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

-
My 1980 CRUISER 5
20170209_170422-2.jpg

What's the story on the Clunker 5 how many were sold and when was the first Spitfire 5 dated. Mine
20160827_161836.jpg
20160910_181800.jpg
has 0819 stamp on head badge and looks like new stickers were added but everything else looks great, I think Finders were sold Originally on this bike???
amazing find in CL for what I paid $$.

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk

What's the story on the Clunker 5 how many were sold and when was the first Spitfire 5 dated. Mine View attachment 420700View attachment 420701 has 0819 stamp on head badge and looks like new stickers were added but everything else looks great, I think Finders were sold Originally on this bike???

That's a good question ..I hope someone can elaborate on it

What's the story on the Clunker 5 how many were sold and when was the first Spitfire 5 dated. Mine has 0819 stamp on head badge and looks like new stickers were added but everything else looks great, I think Finders were sold Originally on this bike???

None of the bikes named in the title heading came with fenders from the factory but I'm sure many buyers had them installed at the dealers.
My Cruiser 5 was a $150 CL find with no pictures in the ad.

All the Spitfire 5's that I've seen had a 1979 serial and build date on the badge, but there's only a few thousand that I haven't seen yet. ;)
What's the serial number on yours? I have a Black Spitfire 5 that has a three month gap between the SN date and head badge date.

From what I remember the Klunker name was only a few months then Schwinn was sued because another company had that name so Schwinn dropped the name instead of fighting a lawsuit.The Cruiser and Spitfire followed the Klunker

I read somewhere that the Mt.bike magazine Klunker in California started by riders who used to make downhill bikes out of Schwinn frames with modified parts BMX bars ,seats etc. For the Schwinn frames were always the strongest.
They had the name first like when Columbia's Play Boy bike came in the 60's that had a very short life Hugh Hefner threaten to sue them for the same thing
As for date codes on my bike I haven't looked them up but KP on frame and 0829 on badge pics on badge is hard to see.
KIMG0446.JPG
KIMG0477.JPG
KIMG0487.JPG

Back