When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It would be interesting to compare those fenders with ones from a late 70's Typhoon, and see if there's any difference.
Good idea I should I have two red Typhoons '59 & 68? something I have will be the same! What's the difference in finders and years I've never thought of looking. I have a ORIGINAL '78 heavy Dudy they should be identical or they are not Original on my Spitfire 5 I will let you know
20151026_192850.jpg
20160220_231203.jpg

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk

The cantilever framed bikes were outsourced to Murray for the first couple of years after Schwinn completely shut down the Chicago factory (83). Then they were imported from Taiwan. I've seen a few 1982 SN'd Cruisers with the chrome BMX fork so I'm not sure if they started that in mid 82 production or if they were dealer added. The 83 Murray built had the tube BMX fork. This was during a time when Schwinn was going in circles chasing their tale so anything is possible.
What did they make in their new factory? I think they continued the lugged lightweights.Must have been more?

What year did they switch from blade forks to tube forks?
I read that ABS Industries, parent company of Ashtabula Forge, closed in October 1982, so forged forks became unobtainable before Chicago closed. I also wonder if they used the Atom drum brakes to the end in Chicago? I've seen late 5 speed cruisers without them, but I don't know if the bikes were original. That could be why they changed the rear bracket type on the cruiser frames, although they were still using the drum brakes in 1980. Somebody out there must know.

The 1980 and 81 Cruisers came equipped with either the Atom drum brake or the cantilever brake. Not sure about the 1982 models, haven't seen to many of those limited birds.

I've never seen an '80 Cruiser with a caliper rear brake but in '81 it seemed they came with both Atom drum or caliper and I've yet to figure out when the change happened or even if it was random for a while. I've only seen '82 or later Cruisers with caliper brakes (no drum), however the Atom drum brake was used on the Deluxe Twinn 5-speed until it was discontinued at the end of '82 and on the Twinn Sport (10-speed) through '83 so it must have been a conscious cost-cutting measure to delete the drum from the Cruisers during '81.

I've seen quite a few 1980's in the last 10 years with the rear caliper. Seems this youtube dude has no idea what year Cruiser he has.

Any of you Cruiser 5 owners have the factory installed paper clip hanging on your rear fender mounting bracket that's welded to the kickstand tube? You'll know it's an original Schwinn paper clip if it's painted the color of the frame. :D

Last edited:
Show me an original 1980 Cruiser with a caliper and I'll become a believer. Until then I believe they were all drum brakes until part of 1981.

Back