When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sorry never had a Dayton chain ring. it's Davis not Dayton no bottle cap hole. Term project means needs to be restored. This was in a barn in eastern ore. actually nothing has been changed even the pedals are hd's. Grips are not orig though.

Aren't these the same bike?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nickinator ... dood ... that is one very-boss Black Beauty badge !!! Wash it in mild shampoo .. get all the soap residue off with hot
water followed by rubbing alcohol .. not the green stuff. A better product is denatured alcohol from the hardware store. Read all
cautions on the container. Resist the urge to polish it out. There is no paint on that badge. The badge was at one time part of a
brass sheet that had been polished on one side and nickel-plated on that one side. The plating is thin ... very thin.

A silkscreened design was applied >>> anything that you see raised -- once had an asphalt-based, acid-resist screened on the top
of the polished and newly, nickel-plated brass sheet. It's possible that fifty or more badge designs were screened at a time.

All metal that was supposed to stay in position was given a coat of the asphalt-based resist. Any metal that was expected to vacate
was left exposed to the environment, momentarily. Before you can say, "Kim Kardashian has a magnificently-plump hiney ... (but that
isn't going to help her be a wise mother)" ...... that prepared, nickel-plated, brass sheet will be exposed to an acid solution ... and any-
thing that is not covered in the acid-resist ... soon becomes victim to the ravenousness of the acidic predator ... and simply disappears.

In the case of your Black Beauty badge .. a chemical oxidizer was fed onto the front of the badge .. the areas attacked by the acid turned
black (the effect of the oxidizer) ... the badge was allowed to age for a moment .. rinsed in water and / or a neutralizing solution ... your
badge was chemically-cleaned to remove the asphalt based, acid-resist .. and finally made ready to be placed on the head-tube of a bicycle.

One day you will want to polish the Black Beauty badge. Don't do it. Polishing a badge ALWAYS begins in a quiet, purposeful and Sainted
Manner ... then .. before a person knows of the horror and heartbreak that can result when a treasured badge is allowed to be manipulated
by a heavy-handed brute with a Brillo-Pad ...... pardon me, Nick ... I can go on no further ......................

zu2ete3a.jpg

Last edited:
it helps a ton! I always want to learn more about how things were made and how to properly clean them.

thank you for that huge bit of info!

Nick.

Nickinator ... dood ... that is one very-boss Black Beauty badge !!! Wash it in mild shampoo .. get all the soap residue off with hot
water followed by rubbing alcohol .. not the green stuff. A better product is denatured alcohol from the hardware store. Read all
cautions on the container. Resist the urge to polish it out. There is no paint on that badge. The badge was at one time part of a
brass sheet that had been polished on one side and nickel-plated on that one side. The plating is thin ... very thin.

A silkscreened design was applied >>> anything that you see raised -- once had an asphalt-based, acid-resist screened on the top
of the polished and newly, nickel-plated brass sheet. It's possible that fifty or more badge designs were screened at a time.

All metal that was supposed to stay in position was given a coat of the asphalt-based resist. Any metal that was expected to vacate
was left exposed to the environment, momentarily. Before you can say, "Kim Kardashian has a magnificently-plump hiney ... (but that
isn't going to help her be a wise mother)" ...... that prepared, nickel-plated, brass sheet has been exposed to an acid solution ... and any-
thing that is not covered in the acid-resist ... soon becomes victim to the ravenousness of the acidic predator ... and simply disappears.

In the case of your Black Beauty badge .. a chemical oxidizer was fed onto the front of the badge .. the areas attacked by the acid turned
black (the effect of the oxidizer) ... the badge was allowed to age for a moment .. rinsed in water and / or a neutralizing solution ... your
badge was chemically-cleaned to remove the asphalt based, acid-resist .. and finally made ready to be placed on the head-tube of a bicycle.

One day you will want to polish the Black Beauty badge. Don't do it. Polishing a badge ALWAYS begins in a quiet, purposeful and Sainted
Manner ... then .. before a person knows of the horror and heartbreak that can result when a treasured badge is allowed to be manipulated
by a heavy-handed brute with a Brillo-Pad ...... pardon me, Nick ... I can go on no further ......................

View attachment 120673

Looks like the same bike from cyber space.
Dun dun dun....

Perceptive of you. Absolutely Yes and it's going to stay a hd because I have 2 identical Davis frames and this one better.
No trick or treats here. It's a Davis built frame for harley possibly a surplus hd frame.as I said earlier.. My Harley Davidson project all has all the correct parts for a authentic Harley Davidson build... Pic of the other Davis fame damaged with olive paint.

Last edited:
Here is an early Mich City Excelsior with flush joints (and International Stamping deep 1" fenders)

attachment.php

attachment.php

1914 Chicago trade show. Excelsior booth pic is the closest thing to a 1915 Chief frame I have ever seen.

attachment.php
The Excelsior is interesting, it almost appears the top bar terminates into an external joint at seat mast, hard to tell. Do you know where the bike is? Maybe get some detailed pics.

Here is a few pics of my second frame it's rough but can be restored.one of them is the frame in question..

Last edited:
Perceptive of you. Yes and it's going to stay a hd because I have 2 frames and this one better.
No trick or treats here.

I can't take credit (chitown) for observing that the 2 complete bikes are the same except for the chainring. When I first read your post showing the bike with H-D chainring, you mentioned it being completely original except grips. I was hopeful a new discovery was made to a Red H-D bike.
I'm too naive.

I'm glad you did. I did over state it on the ring. Everything else was on the bike when discovered. Red primer was used on HD. The other frame is a 1918 also with traces of hd paint but needed serious resto.

Back