When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

-
nj_shore ... The single "6" is a mystery to me as this is where Davis placed their Model-Year info.

The ride is a 1917 or later .. as "told" by the pinching in of the seat stays just above the fender bridge.
That pinched-in feature was used on the Dayton-Models ONLY ... 1917 thru 1922 (+ / -).

The mystery to me is the "6" ... which should be a "7" for 1917 (because of the pinched-in upper seat stays).

IS IT POSSIBLE THE BICYCLE IS A 1919 ... WITH THE "6" STAMPING NOTHING MORE THAN AN UP-SIDE-DOWN "9" ???

The extra numbers ... 130 ... are seldom-seen stampings ... but they do appear infrequently on Dayton and DAVIS rides.
I do not know their meaning.

............................... patric

DAVIS year of manuf. stampings.jpg

Last edited:
Early Chief

Here is an early Mich City Excelsior with flush joints (and International Stamping deep 1" fenders)

attachment.php

attachment.php

1914 Chicago trade show. Excelsior booth pic is the closest thing to a 1915 Chief frame I have ever seen.

attachment.php
This Chief has a very similar frame to The Excelsior. The Chief has a distinct seam where the top bar nears the seat mast same as the Excelsior

This Chief has a very similar frame to The Excelsior. The Chief has a distinct seam where the top bar nears the seat mast same as the Excelsior

So are you on Team Excelsior now? I know it's a small team but I think we have a chance against the Team Davis folks, who although they are a likeable bunch... their days in the spotlight are fading! What with Team Westfield winning the Indian bicycles battle and all.

Chief Chitown

O-kay Chief Chitown ... looks like yer callin' out the good folks on Team Davis ...
you and yer team ain't seen nuthin', yet !!

Some of us are still doin' plenty o' research on them Chief bicycles .. and other
rides built for Sear's by Davis ... and we ain't begun to expand yer knowledge
of them H-D Military Bicycles of 1918 .. Davis-Built ... just like the H-D Exec's
demanded.

Fact is .. we're so durn busy researchin' what's what .. that we ain't even touched
on the National .. the Dixie Flyer ..the LaFrance .. the Snell .. the Yale .. or any
other Davis-Built Transportation Machine !! But .. we got the whole future to do
just that .....

............ patric

So are you on Team Excelsior now? I know it's a small team but I think we have a chance against the Team Davis folks, who although they are a likeable bunch... their days in the spotlight are fading! What with Team Westfield winning the Indian bicycles battle and all.

Chief Chitown
Cant say I'm on any team except the anti-red team. I am waiting for permission to see the serial number on this bike behind glass, that will tell the rest of the story. Meanwhile we can study some of the details of the bike.

Has anyone seen a dropstand like that before?

Last edited:
Balloontyre ... have never seen a dropstand like THAT one.

That ride must be special to the owner ... it's behind glass.

.......... patric

Back