When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Note:

Not all Davis-made frames have model numbers stamped into the bottom bracket. I am no expert.

Many of the bottom brackets documented in this thread (including my Davis-made Sears bikes: 1 Chief, 1 Peerless, 1 Napolean), have wheel-alligned serial numbers (and sometimes possible year stamps) with no model number stampings.

Perhaps it would be safe to say that Davis frames made to be sold as non-Davis brands (i.e. sold by Sears) will not have model numbers.

More model numbers from years/catalogs/ads (and more bottom bracket documentation) would help flesh out charts.

Last edited:
ejlwheels your Davis Bottom Bracket Discovery is wonderful ... and
i agree with you .. more model numbers from years / catalogs / ads ...
would be appreciated and useful.

Thanks for sharing that discovery.

......... patric

Last edited:
It looks like these are the same frames and everything except the lighting equipment.

I have the first ad now marked as 1922 and the second as 1920 (dates assigned by Balloontyre).
If the second ad is from 1920, the frame would have been assembled by Davis.

Look at the price difference. I looked in some catalogs from around 1920 and lamp and battery sets were about $5.00.
Why the big swing?

1922SearsquotElginquot_zps7795b747-1.jpg

1923ElginShelbymadewithDavispartsDSCN176-1.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like these are the same frames and everything except the lighting equipment (frames assembled by Shelby from Davis parts).

I have the first ad marked as 1922 and the second as 1923 (dates assigned by ?).

But look at the price difference.

I looked in some catalogs from around 1920 and lamp and battery sets were about $5.00.

1922SearsquotElginquot_zps7795b747-1.jpg

1923ElginShelbymadewithDavispartsDSCN176-1.jpg
I think those were my scans originally, The second ad is actually 1920 ($58.45), first ad is 22.

Bicycles apparently were not selling very well in 1920-21.
Haverford/Black Beauty folded in 1920 and Davis folded in 1922...

IVO ... thanks, again for letting me use the ad you sent. Attached is the ad
with edited, and more-appropriate text added.

.............. patric

Sear's ELGIN Ad.jpg

Look at the price difference. I looked in some catalogs from around 1920 and lamp and battery sets were about $5.00. Why the big swing?

Depression of 1920–21
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Depression of 1920–21 was an extremely sharp deflationary recession in the United States, shortly after the end of World War I. It lasted from January 1920 to July 1921. The extent of the deflation was not only large, but large relative to the accompanying decline in real product.

A range of factors have been identified contributing to the depression, many relating to adjustments in the economy following the end of World War I. There was a brief Post-World War I recession immediately following the end of the war which lasted for 7 months. The economy started to grow, though it had not yet completed all the adjustments in shifting from a wartime to a peacetime economy. Factors identified as potentially contributing to the downturn include: returning troops which created a surge in the civilian labor force, a decline in labor union strife, changes in fiscal and monetary policy, and changes in price expectations.

Following the end of the Depression of 1920–21, the Roaring Twenties brought a period of economic prosperity.

davis pics

heres my pics as identified by Patrick in an earlier posting

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 347
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 376
  • P1010029 (2).jpg
    P1010029 (2).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 376