When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Where can I find info and pics from the early HD catalogs? I have found a collector who sold his place and is selling of all of his old motorcycles and bikes. I am headed there this weekend to pick up a couple of Silver Kings but among other things he mentioned that he has an early Harley Davidson bicycle. He said he thinks it is a 1919 and that it has the HD sprocket and headbadge but he suspects the bars are not original. I am trying to educate my self as much as possible before heading up there. The sprocket info has been helpful but are there any other dead giveaways regarding originality?

Where can I find info and pics from the early HD catalogs? I have found a collector who sold his place and is selling of all of his old motorcycles and bikes. I am headed there this weekend to pick up a couple of Silver Kings but among other things he mentioned that he has an early Harley Davidson bicycle. He said he thinks it is a 1919 and that it has the HD sprocket and headbadge but he suspects the bars are not original. I am trying to educate my self as much as possible before heading up there. The sprocket info has been helpful but are there any other dead giveaways regarding originality?
This thread is great. Lots of variables of "tells" depending on year and model.
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?20560-Show-your-Davis-built-bicycles

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?51692-Harley-Davidson-bicycle-ads-and-articles

Last edited:
So my crusty Chief looks to be Davis built. Serial # 169780 with a 7 above.
0109141929.jpg
SH106217.jpg

Hello, first post..I've enjoyed reading the thread, lots of info...thanks too all.I have owned this davis/yale close to 30 yrs...sorry for crappy pic..first time doing the attachment thingie..anyway, any idea of value of this??? Thanks much!! Willbill

Attachments

• 2012-12-15_10-09-05_589.jpg
    2012-12-15_10-09-05_589.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 2012-12-15_10-09-27_939.jpg
    2012-12-15_10-09-27_939.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Willbill ... glad you attached a foto or two ... if the machine is a Davis Racer .. it will have
7/8" outside-diameter tubing at the top tube .. the down tube AND the seat mast ... there will be
lug fittings everywhere .. including the seat post cluster. ONLY THE RACER HAS 7/8-INCH
TUBING in the front triangle of a diamond-frame Davis.

Your fork does not look like a Davis Racer Fork .. the racer's fork has a unique, forged, single-piece
crown ... not the very-common honey-comb pattern used by very many manufacturers back then.

Let's take a peep at an H-D Racer from the same manufacturer and era (this Racer has factory-equipped
shallow fenders .. an option at the time). Notice the 7/8-inch main, frame tubes AND the correct, Racing
Fork ... this model is designed as a Track-Racer ... notice the proximity of the front of the rear tire to the
rear of the lower, seat-mast ... wheelbase --- 41-inches --- quick steering ... Daddy Like !!!

Look ... i do not feel comfortable stating a value for the whole bicycle .. and if i did .. it would only be my
opinion. I will state values that i would offer to you .. for specific parts. Make no mistake .. i am NOT in
the market for this machine .. as i collect motorcycle named / badged bicycles manufactured during the
time the counter-part motorcycle was manufactured. (Beautiful as one may be .. i have no use for a 1918
Flying Merkel Bicycle .. the last production-year of the F-M Motorcycle being 1917.)

FRAME ..................................................... if Racer .......... $400
FORK ....................................................... if Racer .......... $250
YALE CHAINRING ....................................... nice teeth ....... $200
YALE BADGE .............................................. no blems ........ $300

Because of the lack of clarity in the fotos .. i am not stating a value for any other part of this machine.

In closing .. keep in mind that opinions are like butt-cheeks ... TWO is a Godly-Amount ... but a third looks silly on a banana seat.

.......................... patric cafaro

H-D racer  roadster  001.jpg
H-D racer roadster  002.jpg
H-D racer  roadster  003.jpg
H-D racer roadster  004.jpg
H-D racer roadster  005.jpg
H-D racer roadster  006.jpg
H-D racer roadster  007.jpg

==========================================================================================
==========================================================================================

Last edited:
Thank you for your detailed and though responce.i've really enjoyed this info..as stated, owned since the 80's/ and used to take it on charity rides here in charlotte..anyway..I've discovered the for sale section ...as I have been layed off work, so time to lighten the load...a few pics taken tonite with phone...Thanks again for responding ...trying to figure out the pms on this little phone...
Regards...william

Attachments

• 2014-02-19_21-05-26_954.jpg
    2014-02-19_21-05-26_954.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 2014-02-19_21-05-42_535.jpg
    2014-02-19_21-05-42_535.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 441
  • 2014-02-19_21-05-02_801.jpg
    2014-02-19_21-05-02_801.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 418
Ivorine

bought this last year and from another post seems to be 1915-16 davis built, questioned my sanity after I got it home with all the tar,varnish or whatever was on it but finally got it cleaned up, need a few parts yet.
hEic7ksl-1.jpg

J9IjNmvl-1.jpg

AOQ7iz5l-1.jpg

Back