When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
DAVIS "Lester" .. and .. NEW DEPARTURE "Model-A" Rear Hubs Used On Davis-Builts ....

CABE-Member >> geosbike << e-m'd these fotos to me, with permission to post.

THANK YOU - George !!

.......... patric

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

=======================================
=======================================

Confusing Dayton from Kansas

Glad this thread is still alive and working because I just picked up a Dayton from a barn just outside of Salina KS and need some help. I’ve read all 33 pages of this thread twice now and I am still confused as to the date on this one, and have many other questions. About the only thing I am sure of is that it does not have the pinched seat stays so probably pre 1917? The adjusters are the Dayton style, and the head badge is the pop bottle cap style. I am not sure about the chain ring, or why it is not the Dayton script style, possibly replaced at some point? I have never seen this style chain ring before? The rear hub is a Morrow, or at least the brake arm is (I didn't think they started till the 30s)? And to really add to the confusion, it appears to have two sets of serial numbers, and the bottom bracket is pretty crusty so reading all the numbers is hard. There is a larger but crudely stamped 41972 that runs across the bottom bracket like most other manufactures used. I am thinking this may have been a re-stamp from a stolen bike, or something? The other numbers and letter “A”s that do run the way it looks that most Davis numbers ran are very hard to read. But from the things I read about date of manufacture and year dating they don’t make since unless it’s a 1911 or 1921? Here are all the pictures I took the other day when I first got it home. Hope you can help me ID it and figure out what is right and wrong on it. Davis style numbers and letters on bottom bracket are hard to read and the pictures didn’t turn out to good. Here is what they look like.
A
A
55?????4
DSC03502-1.jpg

DSC03512-1.jpg

DSC03508-1.jpg

DSC03505-1.jpg

DSC03534-1.jpg

Last edited:
=10~18kustoms;367540]
Glad this thread is still alive and working because I just picked up a Dayton from a barn just outside of Salina KS and need some help. I’ve read all 33 pages of this thread twice now and I am still confused as to the date on this one, and have many other questions. About the only thing I am sure of is that it does not have the pinched seat stays so probably pre 1917? The adjusters are the Dayton style, and the head badge is the pop bottle cap style. I am not sure about the chain ring, or why it is not the Dayton script style, possibly replaced at some point? I have never seen this style chain ring before? The rear hub is a Morrow, or at least the brake arm is (I didn't think they started till the 30s)? And to really add to the confusion, it appears to have two sets of serial numbers, and the bottom bracket is pretty crusty so reading all the numbers is hard. There is a larger but crudely stamped 41972 that runs across the bottom bracket like most other manufactures used. I am thinking this may have been a re-stamp from a stolen bike, or something? The other numbers and letter “A”s that do run the way it looks that most Davis numbers ran are very hard to read. But from the things I read about date of manufacture and year dating they don’t make since unless it’s a 1911 or 1921? Here are all the pictures I took the other day when I first got it home. Hope you can help me ID it and figure out what is right and wrong on it. Davis style numbers and letters on bottom bracket are hard to read and the pictures didn’t turn out to good. Here is what they look like.
A
A
55?????4

10~18kustoms ... I am as confused as you are regarding the Davis - Dayton. Somewhere in these 30 pages
there is info that explains or hopes to explain the extra numbers that appear on the bicycles around 1920.

At least this is what I recall .. but I may be wrong.

Your machine is a twenty-inch frame ... having a three - inch (+ / -) headtube. This model is seldom seen
in captivity. The more common frame being the twenty-two-inch frame with a five-inch (+ / -) headtube.

You are correct about the lack of pinch-in feature on this frame ... but the lack has more to do with small
frame size than anything about it being pre-1917.

Seems like one or three of the entries within this Davis-thread have a lot to do with the appearance of 'extra'
numbers on the bottom bracket (those running in-line with the wheels). You may have to go back and re-read.
I know I will.

Your rear fender is incorrect for a Davis - Dayton ... but correct for a Shelby-Built Dayton. Shelby purchased
Davis some time in 1923. Get yourself a Dayton chainring .. hopefully one with good teeth.

The 1-inch sidewalls on the correct fenders are a tough find .. and when a body does find a pair .. they ain't
cheap. The special Davis dropstands with 3-edge or 4-edge piercings are really tough to find.

Your machine would make a good candidate for a board track racer.

That is what I did with my 1917 FM .. even tho' I have the correct, deep fenders in paint and patina matching
frame and fork ... and .. a very-nice Tip-Top saddle. These are in storage for now ... butt-hoo-nose .. one day
I may tire of the B-Tracker look and decide to change-out some parts.

........................ patric

Dayton racer.JPG

2-1915-cyclone-mid-america-auctions_600x4001.jpg

photo 4.JPG

photo%203  copy.jpg

photo 1 b.jpg

1917  FM  001.jpg

1917  FM  002.jpg

==================================================
==================================================

Dayton racer.JPG

2-1915-cyclone-mid-america-auctions_600x4001.jpg

photo 4.JPG

photo 1 b.jpg

1917  FM  001.jpg

1917  FM  002.jpg

photo%203  copy.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yes, I should have noticed the 20" frame. What is it with me and these short frames, my Iver is a short one too.

After reading 333 posts I believe this is a 1919 Dayton Model 162

You are spot-on, John. Very clean Dayton. Badge very crisp. Diggin' the Iver J. extended stem.

....... patric

================================
================================

Looking for ID help on Davis built truss frame

Many thanks to Ejlwheels for guiding me here.
The serial appears to be 5 4596.
Would love to know approx year and what badge(s) may have lived on these models. There's a fairly distinct outline that remains.
Peerless as Ejlwheels suggests or?

Attachments

• 20141005_153004.jpg
    20141005_153004.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 20141004_160846.jpg
    20141004_160846.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 20140929_125844.jpg
    20140929_125844.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 20140929_130341.jpg
    20140929_130341.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 20140929_125603.jpg
    20140929_125603.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 286
Many thanks to Ejlwheels for guiding me here.
The serial appears to be 5 4596.
Would love to know approx year and what badge(s) may have lived on these models. There's a fairly distinct outline that remains.
Peerless as Ejlwheels suggests or?

The Shootist .... surely there is a clearer image of this partial, 1918 Sear's ad from The CABE.
Built by Davis for Sear's.

Not really sure how similar / different the King arch-bar is ... to / from a Davis-Badged machine.

...... patric

1918 001.jpg

========================================
========================================

Back