Show your Davis built bicycles

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Flat Tire

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Feb 24, 2007
Blanchester, ohio United States
Heres the short article about HD bicycles in the Harley Owners Club (HOG) magazine..........and that HD pictured has to be the coolest I've ever seen!

HDbicycles_zpscf559330-1.jpg

HDbicycles2_zps594a7715-1.jpg

bud poe

I live for the CABE
Aug 18, 2009
Portland, Or.
bud poe ... your Dayton does not have a Model-Year Numerical Stamping. It does have,
however, an extra set of three digits ... don't know what that means. Many Dayton rides
sport that single "D" in the area of the serial numbers. The Dayton Fork did not come as
Heavy-Duty or Standard-Duty ... just Non-Truss (like yours) and Truss (like ejlwheels).

Nice Dayton !!!

...........patric

Thanks patric for the info, so we can be sure my frame was produced after 1917 based on the "pinch", correct? Do we have a range of years, say from 1917-1922 for example?

hoofhearted

Saint Lactose The Tolerant
Jan 20, 2010
Fairborn, Ohio
bud poe ... that nugget of information regarding the '17 and forward Dayton bicycles having the
pinched-in, upper seat stay area was gleaned from an AMERICAN MOTORCYCLIST AND BICYCLIST
REVIEW or whatever the magazine was called in it's run from the very early 20th century. The
magazine had at least five name changes in it's run and, for at least fifty years, was published
twice a month.

IN ONE OF THE LATE 1916 or 1917 ISSUES ... an article .. 'new to the bicycling world' or 'changes
and additions from the manufacturers' .. or similar ... the pinched-in, Dayton upper stays are illus-
trated, but no mention of the benefit is made. All other company bicycle frames are unaffected.
i do not have access to that article. The same article also indicates the reality of the H-D chainring.

YOU ARE CORRECT in the period of application of this design, bud poe, 1917 thru 1922 ... and a
bunch of bicycles going out the door in early 1923. Th latest ads this writer has observed were in
fall of 1922 .. "Get on the Davis Bandwagon for 1923 !!" ... every Davis badge was listed in the ad
.. including HD ... not fully indicated as Harley-Davidson .. just HD. In addition, a new badge was
listed .. DAVIS .. it's a heavy copper stamping .. bottle cap attachment .. and looks like the seat-
mast decal on the ompany's bicycle products. Both SCOTT McCASKEY and i have one of these
badges. To me, this badge represents the last gasp of a company before sinking below the waves.

......... patric

hoofhearted

Jan 20, 2010
Fairborn, Ohio
281 001.jpg
280 001.jpg
DSCF1154.jpg
DSCF1157.jpg
1918 H-D factory fotos .. top .. Model B-1 Military .. bottom .. Model 4-18 Motorcyke  001 aa.jpg
1918+H-D+factory+fotos+__+top+__+Model+B-1+Military+__+bottom+__+Model+4-18+Motorcyke.jpg
1919 Model 419 opt. battery tank.jpg
Dayton-Call-to-Service-ad-1.jpg

OKAY ... chitown ... Flat Tire ... bud poe ... redline 1968 ... ejlwheels and all you other Harley-Davidson Bicycle Junkies ... let's peep some goods.

........ patric

Last edited:

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Oct 16, 2008
Seattle, United States
-----------------------------;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;===============''''''''''''''''---------------------------

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

dfa242

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 16, 2011
Wrentham, MA
BEND OVER, here comes another one .........View attachment 66785
I've been away for 10 days and just found the recent additions to this fascinating thread - I really appreciate all the great info about Davis built bikes. I've attached some more pics of the '18 Napoleon and will be happy to provide anything else to inform the discussion.

Cheers,
Dean

8.JPG
5.jpg
6.jpg
11.jpg
7.jpg
IMG_1836.jpg

hoofhearted

Jan 20, 2010
Fairborn, Ohio
DEAN ... my appologies for putting out some incorrect information ... on inspection of another one
of your pics, i have concluded that YOUR 1918 NAPOLEON DOES HAVE DAYTON-TYPE ADJUSTERS.
Sorry for any disturbance in the force.

...... patric cafaro

View attachment 67432
2.jpg

Reactions: tripple3

dfa242

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 16, 2011
Wrentham, MA
Hey Patric,
No apologies needed - any disturbances in my force have nothing at all to do with you.
Thanks again for your guidance.
Dean

hoofhearted

Jan 20, 2010
Fairborn, Ohio
WELL, BOYS AND GIRLS ... with all my tweakin' the apps on this attachment 'whatzit' ... i has
corncluded that i do not know what the heck i am doin' wrongful in the attaching department
... am no longer messin' with the attachment of those Dayton Badge pics, as my wife of 43 years
just told me, "Holy Crap ... give it a rest, already ... are you still takin' yer medicine or do you
need an adjustment ??! ... I think you need more medicine !!!"

WELL ... MAYBE ............ but let us consider what The Dayton Motorbike looked like AFTER Davis
closed the door ... and Shelby bought a bunch of Davis inventory .. Oh, Yeah !!! ... we have some
very, very rare examples of Dayton Bicycles sold by Shelby, from Flat Tire and Scott McCaskey.

BOTH MEMBERS HAVE given me permission to post pics of these rides.

THIS Red And Black DAYTON MOTORBIKE WITH THE NON-TRUSS DAYTON FORK belongs to Flat Tire.

HIS RIDE IS PRESENTED HERE ... Scott's Shelby-Built Dayton will be presented in the next thread
that i type.

SO .. WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE ?? Typical Dayton Motorbike frame ... Dayton (and often Yale - only)
Fork ... this speciman without truss rods ... shallow drop-side raingutter fenders .. Shelby dropstand ..
flat Dayton chainring .. from 1912-or so, era. Say, what's with that "24" stamped on the underside
of the bottom bracket ??!

FLAT TIRE tells me he added the righteous saddle AND the killer, tiller bars. GOOD CALL !!!

NB Dayton 001.jpg
pics 002.jpg
NB Dayton 002 - Copy (2).jpg
NB Dayton 003 - Copy.jpg
NB Dayton 005.jpg
NB Dayton 004 - Copy.jpg
pics 005 - Copy.jpg
NB Dayton 007.jpg

hoofhearted

Jan 20, 2010
Fairborn, Ohio
AND NOW SOME PICS OF SCOTT McCASKEY's Post-1922 Shelby-Built Dayton Speedway Special .....

SHALLOW DROP-SIDE raingutter fenders .. early, Speedway Special badge .. D-A-Y-T-O-N chainring ..
Shelby fork with removable truss-rod sopport-plate. What about the head-tube cups ??!!

1923-Shelby-Dayton-1.jpg
1923-Shelby-Dayton-2.jpg
1923-Shelby-Dayton-4.jpg
1923-Shelby-Dayton-6.jpg
1923-Shelby-Dayton-7.jpg
1923-Shelby-Dayton-10 - Copy.jpg
1923-Shelby-Dayton-3 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!