When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

-
CHRIS (chitown) ... you are right !!! ... those two forks DO look similar. It's difficult for me to understand if
the Mead truss fork has loose truss-rod bottoms, or if the truss-rod bottoms are attached to a plate like that
1918 H-D. On a Davis ... the Standard-Duty Truss Fork has truss-supports roughly one-eighth-inch thick, and
the truss-rods terminate ON TOP OF THE FORK BLADES ... just above the drop-out crush. On the Davis Heavy-
Duty Truss Fork, the truss-supports are roughly one quarter-inch thick ... and ... the truss-rods terminate at
the top of a triangulated plate .. shared with the bottom of the fork blades.

CHRIS ... with all of the documentation you presented .. it is very difficult for me to believe that Davis continued
to make bicycles .. under many badges .. including H-D .. in preparation for the war AND during the war. But,
Davis apparently did just that. JEEZ-LOO-EEZE ... it must have been a mad-house at that plant during that time.

IN ADDITION ... that Heavy-Duty FORK 1918 H-D pic is attached to the rest of a 1918 RESTORED H-D Bicycle
... the restoration orchestrated by SCOTT McCASKEY. SCOTT reports that he no longer owns the bicycle.

CHRIS ... what i really enjoy about these old bicycles is the labyrinth of information surrounding them. You have a
very, very good source of historical information and i am glad you are sharing it with the readers. This quality of
information would have rarely been shared ten years ago. A person might fone another, asking ... "Say, what is the
thickness of the truss-supports on a Davis heavy-duty fork ?" ... the response might be, "Well ... would'nt YOU like
to know ??!!"

Thank you for sharing .. CHRIS !!!!

............... patric

post scipt for BUD POE ... when i get some decent, close-up pics (from several different points of view) of a Dayton Fork
(truss and non-truss) .. i will post it on this thread.

Would like to thank everyone for reviving this thread and sharing info! I've been lucky to pick up a few Davis bikes lately, one I was having some trouble figuring out the front fork, mostly because of the curved truss rods, but found some pics similar and now think it must be the heavy duty?.......truss supports are 1/4" thick....

rustydavisbike005_zps5c30208e-1.jpg

rustydavisbike003_zpsf7ea3e1c-1.jpg

rustydavisbike002_zpsa457d163-1.jpg

More pics,

rustybike002_zpsadb74827-1.jpg

rustydavisbike004_zps9ba90c2c-1.jpg

rustydavisbike001_zpsaaf1d7cd-1.jpg

To make things more convoluted, I've seen those curved truss rods on Pierce motobikes (I have posted here in the past, will link thread) but I suppose someone could've swapped 'em at some point or maybe they were a Davis option...

I also just want to thank patric and chitown and others for sharing all their knowledge and research on the subject. I was thinking the same thing, years ago 99% of us would have been in the dark....

patric, so in your bottom bracket illustration, do we read that as a 1913 frame? I only see one digit for the "year of manufacture" and one for the "model year", are we to ad these together and conclude that it is a 1913 bike? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your illustrations (which are VERY helpful, by the way)....

Flat Tire ...those illustrations show a 1917 Model Year .. manufactured in 1916 ... only the final number
of the dat is stamped. TOTALLY LOVE YOUR DAVIS MOTORBIKE with those dual truss-rod tops .. it's
got to be 1915 or earlier ... PLEASE SHOW US SOME PICS OF THE BOTTOM BRACKET ... THE NUMBERS
.... i gots to know ... WOW-WEE-WOW-WOW ... been in this stuff since 1982 ... not a lot that excites me
... nbut thjt DSAFIS YOU HABE REALKY EXCIYTES ME !!! .... Hoky Crap ... cvan't evten type agfter ppeepin'
that bnicycle !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE PICRTURES PPLEASE !!!!!!!

.........THJANKS AGFAIN ............... patchcreek

Last edited:
Patric, first of all those Yunt boys are scary lookin, but theyre prolly hoardin a bunch of Dayton bicycles somewhere....and not for sale:cool:........and I got a feelin you may not realize I'm yer neighbor, at least once a month I drive by a sign that says 'Fairborn'...wherever that is! Think early Dayton bike tags, from some dude in a van at a MLC meet.....by the way I need one back....hohoho.......
Anyway heres the bottom bracket, besides the serial number I only see 1 other stamping, which looks like a big 1 .....it surely couldnt be a 1911????

Davisserialnumber005_zps3b3dfed5-1.jpg

Davisserialnumber003_zps78e4c90c-1.jpg

Back