When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

-
Heres the short article about HD bicycles in the Harley Owners Club (HOG) magazine..........and that HD pictured has to be the coolest I've ever seen!

HDbicycles_zpscf559330-1.jpg

HDbicycles2_zps594a7715-1.jpg

bud poe ... your Dayton does not have a Model-Year Numerical Stamping. It does have,
however, an extra set of three digits ... don't know what that means. Many Dayton rides
sport that single "D" in the area of the serial numbers. The Dayton Fork did not come as
Heavy-Duty or Standard-Duty ... just Non-Truss (like yours) and Truss (like ejlwheels).

Nice Dayton !!!

...........patric

Thanks patric for the info, so we can be sure my frame was produced after 1917 based on the "pinch", correct? Do we have a range of years, say from 1917-1922 for example?

bud poe ... that nugget of information regarding the '17 and forward Dayton bicycles having the
pinched-in, upper seat stay area was gleaned from an AMERICAN MOTORCYCLIST AND BICYCLIST
REVIEW or whatever the magazine was called in it's run from the very early 20th century. The
magazine had at least five name changes in it's run and, for at least fifty years, was published
twice a month.

IN ONE OF THE LATE 1916 or 1917 ISSUES ... an article .. 'new to the bicycling world' or 'changes
and additions from the manufacturers' .. or similar ... the pinched-in, Dayton upper stays are illus-
trated, but no mention of the benefit is made. All other company bicycle frames are unaffected.
i do not have access to that article. The same article also indicates the reality of the H-D chainring.

YOU ARE CORRECT in the period of application of this design, bud poe, 1917 thru 1922 ... and a
bunch of bicycles going out the door in early 1923. Th latest ads this writer has observed were in
fall of 1922 .. "Get on the Davis Bandwagon for 1923 !!" ... every Davis badge was listed in the ad
.. including HD ... not fully indicated as Harley-Davidson .. just HD. In addition, a new badge was
listed .. DAVIS .. it's a heavy copper stamping .. bottle cap attachment .. and looks like the seat-
mast decal on the ompany's bicycle products. Both SCOTT McCASKEY and i have one of these
badges. To me, this badge represents the last gasp of a company before sinking below the waves.

......... patric

-----------------------------;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;===============''''''''''''''''---------------------------

Last edited:
Back