When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yup, been looking for that hard to find 1913-16 stand for my 1916 Chief for a couple of years now

The only ones I've ever seen .. since I got into
this stuff .. mid 80's ...... I scored on the same
Friday at MLC.

Maybe Fall Meet of 2013.

Two different sellers.

Ivo (CABEr balloontyre) was sitting shotgun in
my car (with me in the drivers seat) on the park-
ing lot ... yak yak yak yak ....

A passerby came up to the window and asked
me, ''what is this stand for ?''

I told him ... then asked if he wanted to sell it.

He set the price ... it was not cheap.

I bought it ... gave him an extra twenty-five sim-
oleons.

Am sharing this story ... not as an act of braggadocio,
but to remind others that the stuff IS out there.

Oddball ... I would let one go ... but they are destined
for two Miami-Builts. One is shown, below.

...... patric

1915  Miami Bull Dog ... Tall Frame.jpg

Last edited:
I think twice or three times before I reproduce hard to find items like that stand, but there's a half a dozen of us with 1915 or 16 Chiefs in my area that could use em, so............

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Model A 172 Dayton motor bike

Anyone know what the A denotes in this serial stamping? Based on reading here mine looks like a 1919 model with some of the optional black coloration... pictures to follow shortly

View attachment 86984

Thanks Patric, I have to send some thanks your way as, you did helped i.d. this on for me. The frame and fender combo seems to be on the rare side. Also I would love to know what other color combos you have seen over the years? Your old white and blue frame and fork tells me they where not necessarily Davis line normal combos.
I'm working on what I think might be a
1921 H-D model 421 Motorcyke.
During disassembly, I took some photos of any stampings that I came across, and I was puzzled by what appears to be a letter A stamped on the bottom bracket.
The fork yoke has a letter B stamped on it.
Then I spotted something interesting that may or may not have any significance, but there is a corresponding letter A on the bottom bracket bearing adjusting race, and a letter B stamped on the headset adjusting race.

Last edited:
Hey Marty, the "A" makes things hard to pinpoint within three years. 1920-1922. I have a "A" Dayton, and recently got yet another "D" machine. I have been starting to take notice of these letter stamps on the forks as well. Never noticed the stamps on the hardware! Good eye! The plot thickens!
image.jpg
Will post machine soon.

Last edited:
View attachment 387400 View attachment 387401 View attachment 387402 View attachment 387403 View attachment 387404

I'm working on what I think might be a
1921 H-D model 421 Motorcyke.
During disassembly, I took some photos of any stampings that I came across, and I was puzzled by what appears to be a letter A stamped on the bottom bracket.
The fork yoke has a letter B stamped on it.
Then I spotted something interesting that may or may not have any significance, but there is a corresponding letter A on the bottom bracket bearing adjusting race, and a letter B stamped on the headset adjusting race.

Wow nice.. paint looks like Harley to me.. I've done my own research on orig H.D. Frames numbers for years and seems that all the Harley's I've seen have the same.. a letter and serial number no extra numbers. It looks to me like black was the 2nd base color for the H.D. Green Paint color. Love to see more pics on this beauty.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
When I had the fork out of the head tube, I looked inside to see the swedge of the bottle cap type head badge, and I noticed the "Inside Dope" of the double locked head joint.
I wondered how they built a frame this way.
That 1920 Snell ad pretty much spelled it out.
Thanks for posting, Chitown.

Last edited:
Thanks Marty for sharing. When we talked last I think I remember you mentioning this was a 1921 model Motocyke. From what I have seen, the 1920 and on Davis frames used for their bicycles don't seem to match yours. Notice the bottom bar. It has an upward angle, where yours appears to be paralell. I know the bicycle has a "A" on the bottom bracket. This all makes me think this is an 1918 Harley.....?......the construction does not have the 1920 or later traits for me. What do you think? also the seat lug would make sense for 1918.

Back