When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Your Primo Badges ... currently owned .. or not.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just a few Random Headbadges The Indian is a Repro
WESTERNUNION-1.jpg

EARLYINDIAN-1.jpg

BUCKEYE-1.jpg

AmericanFlyer-1.jpg

ACE-1.jpg

CYCLETRUCK1-1.jpg

YESTERDAY ... was peepin' this thread and did a double-take on the Chief in the collection of GARY Mc ... AND the Chief pic
sent to me by Balloontyre. Have been peepin' Chief badges since 1984 .. when i saw my first ... always thought the EARLIER
VARIETY (from Ballontyre and GARY Mc) had the EARLIER COLOR SCHEME ... but some variation is to be noted. While Balloon-
tyre and GARY Mc each have the Earlier Chief ... theirs show the Later Color Scheme. Never have seen this before ... then
twice on the same day !!!

IMAG3190.jpg
IMG_1596.jpg
chief early.jpg
chief late.jpg

IMAG3190.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

chief early.jpg

chief late.jpg

Before dating became such a science- I thoght

these were just variations- maybe from different batches running concurrently- if you have a molded dash part for a Honda civic, you can be sure all did not come off the same mold-simply too many being made.- To go to the effort of mild changes for year to year- seems strange- seems like they may have had a few molds that could have been running concurrently and they were not super anal to be sure they were exact in color or design- but to the quick glance the were "the same"---hold any water?

YESTERDAY ... was peepin' this thread and did a double-take on the Chief in the collection of GARY Mc ... AND the Chief pic
sent to me by Balloontyre. Have been peepin' Chief badges since 1984 .. when i saw my first ... always thought the EARLIER
VARIETY (from Ballontyre and GARY Mc) had the EARLIER COLOR SCHEME ... but some variation is to be noted. While Balloon-
tyre and GARY Mc each have the Earlier Chief ... theirs show the Later Color Scheme. Never have seen this before ... then
twice on the same day !!!

View attachment 76447View attachment 76448View attachment 76449View attachment 76450

Patric,

Here are two slides I did, one with a 1915 ad & one with a 1917 ad, I understand from your post there is at least a third variation as well. I put these together trying to determine what I had as well as a head badge on a Chief in Virginia for sale in another thread here recently, mine was advertised as 1915 but I prefer evidence. The 1915 ad has the color scheme my badge has whereas the 1917 ad has what you call the early color scheme. Would be nice if we could find ads from all 5 years of the Chief run to see what badge was in the ad each year and determine if their artwork showed significant variations. You may have already done this, not sure. Just thought I would share this here. I am new to looking at Chief badges and missed the CBN issue on them so this newbie to this area is just trying to get an understanding on these great badges.

19157SearsChiefHeadbadge-1.jpg

1917SearsChiefHeadbadge-1.jpg

Thanks and your opinion on the ads would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

BIKE ... i am prone to CONSIDER that each Chief badge variation came from different batches running concurrently ... like you suggest ...
and GARY ... i am in accord with you, in that you are one to prefer more evidence from ad literature.

Admittedly, my self-acquired license to deem a Chief badge Early or Late is based solely-upon the Architecture Of The FACE of the Chief ...
in comparison/contrast to dated sales literature.

Color scheme AND variation have never really been a consideration of mine, to date a Chief badge, until maybe a year ago (+/-).

Am adding another consideration ... i would like to have documentation (from original Chief bicycles) .. of ...

1. Pertinent information from the bottom of the crank hanger ...
2. Photo documentation of the front and rear of the badge ...
3. Photo documentation of the debris-field behind the badge, and that which may still be clinging to the headtube.

MUCH MORE RESEARCH is needed, before a conclusion can be reached.

............. patric

chief early.jpg
chief late.jpg
chief unknown era.jpg

chief early.jpg

chief late.jpg

chief unknown era.jpg

Something to consider when looking at color in old ads--all photos were black and white---the color was added by the printer.Case in point---our courthouse was built around 1910. Historic postcard photos show a green tile roof which it never had .It always had a red tile roof---the printer though a green roof looked better in the photo.

Back