When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shrinky dinkin' steering tubes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bentwoody66

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just a quick hint on shortening steering tubes from girls to boys. I have found that 3/4 hard copper plumbing pipe fits rather nicely on the I.D. of any steer tube on forks for a good slug for welding. Just make sure that you cut steer tube close to the fork crown to allow the stem height to be adjusted.:)

Why would you need to weld to shorten a steering tube? Girl's bikes usually have a longer one, so just cut it down and re-thread. Or chase the existing threads down and the cut it.

i can re thread i have the die i've done it to several forks but you have to be careful the metal is soft and you might get some metal that gets stuck in the die and it ruins the fork.

lock washer groove

good ideal ken.
now for the rethreaders,
that sounds all good.....
providing you have the die.
so, after rethreading the tube,
how do you cut the groove for
the lock washer ?

Carefully take a nick out of it with a cutting disk on Dremel. Most bike shops have the tap and don't charge very much to re-thread the steerer.

I tried everybike shop in the area and no-one seemed to want to help me out so I took matters in to my own hands. The groove has to be lined up prior to pressing it back together. Just thought it was a good idea. I really didn't know how hard the tubing was and didn't want to ruin my fork trying to chase the threads, plus who will see it inside the steering tube.

Yea bike shops here in southern Ohio are pretty much worthless unless youre buying a new bike. I wouldnt trust any of them to even touch my bikes, :eek:

Back