When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sidewalk impressions, can anyone identify the bike or tire that left this mark decades ago?;)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The tread looks more like the zig zag with the lines down the middle, like the tread on my 1960s-1970s musclebike front tires.
My only problem is there is only one tread pattern, no overlap, footprints, etc to suggest a bicycle did it or even a person rolling a single wheel ahead of them.
Nobody with a cart full of heavy and valuable fruits and vegetables would go thru the grass on one side and risk dumping their produce into fresh concrete.
An empty cart would not have left much of an impression.
For those reasons I would have to disagree with GTs58 and anyone else presuming that theory as correct.
An older boy with a single wheel on a fork may have had the reach to do this from one side but according to the width on both sides it wouldve been a teenage boy to keep the pattern that regular.
Why a boy? Girls rarely do these kinds of things and it would've taken a taller than average girl to have the reach to do this.
Probably a boy looking to leave his mark on the world. Apparently he succeeded far beyond his hopes even if this is 1960s-1970s. If it is older it would truly be a landmark and should never be repaired or replaced.

Across the street from our house in a sidewalk that may date as far back as 1900 there is this bit of tire tread fossil. I wonder who the kid was and what era. There are sidewalk steps in this neighborhood dated as far back as 1898. Zillow says the house was built in 1906 but could easily be older. Some of the homes at this en of the black were built in the late 1880s. and it's currently for sale so you too could own the house with the historic sidewalk tire impression.🤣
View attachment 1720163

View attachment 1720164

Anyone have any more cycling shadows of the past?
How long are the marks? I'm not so sure why were are discounting it being a 2 wheeled bike. I know I can get my bikes to track in the same line for some distance. It is possible the concrete was firm enough to ride across. I have put down a bunch of concrete in my day and the depth of the marks leads me to believe it was partially set when the marks were made. If it were fresh concrete it would have found somewhat of a level after the marks were imprinted giving less deep of an impression. Also as the second tire passed over the concrete it would have left its print as it displaced the print of the first tire.

If the bike had the same tires front and rear possibly.
Yes tracking is possible if one is intentionally doing it or riding fast I would think it were more possible.
It just seems that one impression is too clean and clear to me, but i was wrong once or twice.
At least I thought so at first. Then I found out I was mistaken.

Across the street from our house in a sidewalk that may date as far back as 1900 there is this bit of tire tread fossil. I wonder who the kid was and what era. There are sidewalk steps in this neighborhood dated as far back as 1898. Zillow says the house was built in 1906 but could easily be older. Some of the homes at this en of the black were built in the late 1880s. and it's currently for sale so you too could own the house with the historic sidewalk tire impression.🤣
View attachment 1720163

View attachment 1720164

Anyone have any more cycling shadows of the past?
I’m on a small iphone & can’t see the pic all that well, but what I can see really looks like the tires on an old Rambler bike I have )with a single thin rib down the center with what looks like log-chains on either side). If that’s the case, then your tire would’ve been a United States No 76 Giant Chain Tread (or very similar). See the pics (tho beware mine are old & hardened e age - so they’re a lot flatter-tread than if they were blown up & viable).

Hope that helps!

E9FCEEFB-5539-41EB-982A-BC8864F4DE35.jpeg

5FA92EE9-B032-4F65-8C81-0686C8B61F5B.jpeg

6D08218E-C9E7-492B-B496-7D4993729A74.jpeg

C87A3A0D-AAC5-45BD-8FDB-483CE761CA44.jpeg

9D782BCB-E652-419F-89E4-9C20D212164D.jpeg

I never thought this would get so many comments, clearly I'm not the only one who geeks out trying to solve a mystery like this. I've stared at all the contractors marks up and down the block and taken some shots that show the color tone, grain/sand , etc. of the concrete. As mentioned early in the comments the sidewalks are a patchwork here from tree roots and sewer lines being replaced. Our house has at least 5 different pours in front though a few have only one or two. There are some houses with a reddish concrete in their sidewalks, I spotted the curbing from that contractor, poured in 1921.

Here's the original sections with the various patches on either side of the tire track. Spoke to the home owner and a neighbor who say this was there in the 1970s. That makes sense since the concrete from the 1960s and later is all very gray colored or whiter, not the tan of the early stuff. Here's some contractor stamps that may date the track section.

Typical repairs piled on top each other.

It seems like this LaPlant 1920 below, or the Larry Frye from 1953 are the closest match in texture and color. For those of a younger age that 1890 is not a date but the contractors phone number, LA-2-1890, give it a call if you need old school concrete work done.😄

Back