When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sierra Brown Schwinn Supersport

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Glad you had a set... I've been stashing sets as I find them.

That paint looks like it will clean up nice! I'm a little surprised about the hubs and freewheel, I would have thought they would be Sprint also. Maybe Metacortex will be able to shed some light on this.

pulled the crank and its a "SA 2 67"...

That means the crank is dated to the 2nd week of '67 and yet the 39-52T chainrings it has appear to be '69-'71 vintage. I don't think this is a '69 bike so I believe a previous owner changed the chainrings at some point.

I forgot to ask about the 2 symbols on either side of the SCHWINN stamp on the bottom bracket cones. Those were a form of date code around that time as Schwinn changed them every year up through '72 (they were discontinued after that). For example if the BB dates from '67 it should have 2 triangle symbols on either side of the SCHWINN stamp.

still unsure about the riveted tag "Sprint" derailleurs as Metacortex pointed out in email...these were used 64-65 but seem to be original to the bike as far as I can tell...

I don't believe that derailleur is original, especially not with the riveted badge and metal pulleys. A '68 or later *should* have come with a "Schwinn Approved" derailleur using smooth plastic rimmed pulleys. Since it is older than the rest of the bike it may have been a replacement purchased from dealer stock. Another clue is that it appears to be in such good condition. Note that those early Sprint derailleurs go for quite a bit on eBay!

Never seen this freewheel before....new one on me... hubs are also un-dated "Schwinn Approved Made In France" and they have a small stamped "D" after made in france...

The freewheel should also have a letter code, which I believe is a date code. I have a '69 Varsity with that same freewheel and an "L" code (the front hub on that bike is also "L"). Unfortunately I don't know how to decipher those codes (yet), although so far I think the letters may be month codes for '68 production. The Schwinn Approved hubs replaced Sprint branded hubs (they were the same except for the branding) in early '68 from what I have seen. I believe the same is true for the freewheels.

Last edited:
That means the crank is dated to the 2nd week of '67 and yet the 39-52T chainrings it has appear to be '69-'71 vintage. I don't think this is a '69 bike so I believe a previous owner changed the chainrings at some point.

I forgot to ask about the 2 symbols on either side of the SCHWINN stamp on the bottom bracket cones. Those were a form of date code around that time as Schwinn changed them every year up through '72 (they were discontinued after that). For example if the BB dates from '67 it should have 2 triangle symbols on either side of the SCHWINN stamp.

I don't believe that derailleur is original, especially not with the riveted badge and metal pulleys. A '68 or later *should* have come with a "Schwinn Approved" derailleur using smooth plastic rimmed pulleys. Since it is older than the rest of the bike it may have been a replacement purchased from dealer stock. Another clue is that it appears to be in such good condition. Note that those early Sprint derailleurs go for quite a bit on eBay!

The freewheel should also have a letter code, which I believe is a date code. I have a '69 Varsity with that same freewheel and an "L" code (the front hub on that bike is also "L"). Unfortunately I don't know how to decipher those codes (yet), although so far I think the letters may be month codes for '68 production. The Schwinn Approved hubs replaced Sprint branded hubs (they were the same except for the branding) in early '68 from what I have seen. I believe the same is true for the freewheels.

From what I've dug up, the 68's front sprocket is the same part number as my 70, but they use the Sprint derailleurs in 68 (same part number as my 66). I agree that the rear is most likely a replacement.

The '64-'68 models used the Sprint 39-50T sprockets ('67-'68 with a chainguard) while the '69 and later models used the Schwinn 39-52T sprockets.

I normally would agree with you, but after reading here, I'm not convinced about the Sprint Sprocket...

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB/Dealer/1968/68dlct07.htm

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB/Dealer/1970/70dlsb08.htm

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB/Dealer/1967/67dlct05.htm

Which leaves the question of ... Are the Schwinn dealer books wrong???

Last edited:
I thought all the Sprint stamped components were phased out after the 1967 model year. I purchased a box of lightweight parts that included a 1968 one piece crank with the new mag style sprockets attached. 1968 was the first year for the Schwinn Approved Huret derailleurs and the Schwinn Approved Atom freewheels. The 68 consumer catalog pictures must be wrong showing the Sprint sprockets.

I normally would agree with you, but after reading here, I'm not convinced about the Sprint Sprocket...

Lee, while the spec. books do have errors in this case I was wrong and you are absolutely correct! A more up-to-date reference with regard to model and component changes is the Schwinn Reporter newsletter and after reading through the '68 issues I can confirm that the Schwinn sprockets did indeed replace the Sprint sprockets in '68. That also jives with the fact that the patent on those cranks was applied for in late '67: http://www.google.com/patents/US3477303

Of course this means that the sprockets on Cody's bike *are* original to the bike. OK I still stand by everything else I said though. <g>

Lee, while the spec. books do have errors in this case I was wrong and you are absolutely correct! A more up-to-date reference with regard to model and component changes is the Schwinn Reporter newsletter and after reading through the '68 issues I can confirm that the Schwinn sprockets did indeed replace the Sprint sprockets in '68. That also jives with the fact that the patent on those cranks was applied for in late '67: http://www.google.com/patents/US3477303

Of course this means that the sprockets on Cody's bike *are* original to the bike. OK I still stand by everything else I said though. <g>

That is weird that Schwinn still used the Sprint derailleurs with all the other parts marked Schwinn Approved... Seems like a lot of odd stuff in those days. My 69 is the same bike, but with the Schwinn Approved derailleurs and (new for 69) brake safety levers.

I've been looking for a 70's 26"er forever.I've had a couple of sweet 24's but they're just a bit too small for me. Bike looks great have fun!

Nice find Cody!
I look forward to seeing you work your usual magic on it.
I like Sierra Brown when it's in good condition and all shined up. It's not quite as flashy as Coppertone, but I think it was a worthy successor.

Back