When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver King L1 Rider Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

maynyrd150

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I saved this from the scrap heap. It was rotting away in my parents back yard as something my dad probably received in a horse trade sort of deal. Chainstay casting is broken, battery tube is rotted, and the chainring and guard are heavily pitted. I have this completely blown apart now into component pieces. This is serial #15xxx and I'm interested in finding out if the saddle is orginal(ish). I plan to weld the chain stay after convincing myself I am qualified on some scrap castings. I anticipate that will take a month or so. I'd like to turn this into a rider for my wife to use around the campgrounds we go to. I've already ordered some black alloy 24" rims with coaster and clay brick ballon tires from ebay to replace the 26" front wheel and probably orginal 24" rear wheels which aren't salvagable. I'll probably hang on to the New Departure Model D if I get more ambitious in the future and decide to build a wheel for it. Trying to decide if I should have the chainring, crank, and guard replated or just powder coat black. I ordered new 316SS hardware from Mcmaster today. This is my first time trying anything like this because I just sort of stumbled across this bike. It's been fun so far.

DSC_0107.jpg
DSC_0165.jpg
DSC_0169.jpg
DSC_0126.jpg
DSC_0173.jpg
DSC_0143.jpg
DSC_0145.jpg

Awesome thanks for sharing that I had no idea it had that little cubby because its completely gone. I'll save this one for sure but with only a simple re-cover.

Any tips for paint colors, type, preparation, and application? I've seen pictures where it looks like red and green. How about the text?

Quick update, teaching myself to TIG weld aluminum on scraps still. Currently using 100% argon and 4043 rod and will switch to a 30/70 he/ar mix to try it out. Then will attempt a few welds on some scrap castings before making the repair myself. I don't anticipate needing perfect form for welding cast. That I'll save for fabricating a battery tube.

20190202_140622.jpg

20190204_193033.jpg

Back