When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver King L1 Rider Project

-
Quick update, teaching myself to TIG weld aluminum on scraps still. Currently using 100% argon and 4043 rod and will switch to a 30/70 he/ar mix to try it out. Then will attempt a few welds on some scrap castings before making the repair myself. I don't anticipate needing perfect form for welding cast. That I'll save for fabricating a battery tube.

View attachment 950184

View attachment 950183

Silly me! Looks like you've already got your good welder

Welded some scrap castings today. They were floppy drive frames and have always been clean but it' crazy how much crude seeped out of them. I'm sure the Silver Kings castings are going to be much worse. First a couple of plug welds in a 3-hole bolt circle. Then a butt weld to connect the two castings together:

20190217_143401.jpg
20190217_144738.jpg

I welded frame today and it turned out better than I anticipated. I was worried my skills would still be lacking, but I took my time. I used threaded rod in place of the axle and a couple bungees to keep everything in place for the task.

20190310_113759.jpg

I ground groves on either side of the break using a carbide cutter to gain more surface area for the weld.

20190310_114047.jpg

20190310_113929.jpg

I used a stainless steel wire wheel and acetone to get the weld surfaces super clean

20190310_134027.jpg

20190310_134041.jpg

Now that I know this bike isn't a total loss, I can start spending time polishing aluminum and get the steel parts sand blasted and powder coated.

Still polishing parts. I'll have to look around here for some tips regarding that. The oxidation is thick with this one.

I took a break from polishing and put together the front wheel. I ordered a 24" youth mountain bike wheel front and back, but I needed to swap the front to a 5/16" B.O from the 3/8" B.O. that it came with. I was able to locate one on ebay for about $12 delivered and installed it and the rim tape, tire, and tube today.

20190319_200539.jpg

I put the rear wheel together, finished straightening up both fenders, and polished some more. Really getting tired of polish work, but its coming along.

I organized most of the hardware so I can try to decide what sorts of finishes everything needs to get.

Any tips for refinishing the bottom bracket and steering head bearing races and associated hardware? Is there a shop you all use regularly? I'm worried about sending stuff and have it get lost.

20190512_105031.jpg

I received some parts back from sand blast and powder coating.

The crank, chain ring, chain guard, stand, seat brackets, were powder coated black.

The seat springs, seat pan, and seat post were only sand blasted.

I've since rattle-canned the springs.

The seat pan has some major flaws, so I may hammer out a new pan to fit over top the original.

I polished the trusses, associated brackets, and rear reflector housing.

I've also picked up a Michigan bicycle license made out of aluminum. It probably isn't period correct, but it looks the part.

The chain guard was really pitted, but it looks a lot like a wrinkle finish. Same story with the chain ring. I'm sure it looks intentional to anyone else.

I had the frame to a gun and key shop to get the lock looked after, but they told me that it's frozen up and not likely salvageable. I'm ok with that.

20190714_132100.png

20190615_185205.jpg

20190714_133111.jpg

Last edited:
Back