When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver King Tandem Design and Build Challenge

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pkleppert

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here's a cut and paste scissors photoshop of a potential 1936-37 Silver King Tandem. I know there are some very talented CABERS that have the skill and knowledge to either design or build such a bike.

"The SK Tandem Build-Off" challenge.

Hopefully it can be designed using as many existing SK frame components as possible. Rear steering is essential for this style sometimes referred to as the "Courting Tandem"

The frame design would require a structural analysis because of the aluminum components involved.

Comments please

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

Now this is just my input .. I would say a bad idea, if using old material as the old metal has "crystalized" become brittle over time .Once you start heating the old aluminum ,become less strong . If you were to make one from new aluminum ,made to look like a old school Silver king would be cool. But messing with the old aluminum ...no way! There probably is a reason why they never made a Silver king tandem...

Yeah,
I’m all sketched out riding my Duralium Airflow by myself.
The last thing I want to do, is put my wife on the handlebars. Snap!
But, I do always love a good challenge.
The most capable guy that I can think of, lives down in San Diego.
He’s done some amazing work with Silver Kings.

Here's a cut and paste scissors photoshop of a potential 1936-37 Silver King Tandem. I know there are some very talented CABERS that have the skill and knowledge to either design or build such a bike.

"The SK Tandem Build-Off" challenge.

Hopefully it can be designed using as many existing SK frame components as possible. Rear steering is essential for this style sometimes referred to as the "Courting Tandem"

The frame design would require a structural analysis because of the aluminum components involved.

Comments please

View attachment 985320

View attachment 985321

View attachment 985322

i think it is a really cool idea. I agree with the above posts - you are going to need one more bar between both bottom brackets

Killer idea I would also be concerned about the strength. A method I have used in the past is to slide steal tubes inside the aluminum when doing repairs to ensure it doesn’t break again. This would be a killer bike though. And I’m sure there are plenty of damaged frames out there that need to be brought back to life.

Killer idea I would also be concerned about the strength. A method I have used in the past is to slide steal tubes inside the aluminum when doing repairs to ensure it doesn’t break again. This would be a killer bike though. And I’m sure there are plenty of damaged frames out there that need to be brought back to life.
Great idea! anything is possible !

The Silver King frames flex big as they are .. many have broken over time ... the ladies frames will flex all over the place when you ride one you'll understand ... Just chrome a Colson rear steer tandem or powdercoat one a satin silver & you'll achieve that look .. and more than likely have a much stronger bicycle in the end .. just my 2 cents .. Ridden not Hidden

WEB2016SanFranciscoRollingRelicsRide.jpg

Back