When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single pan seat recovering?

-
About a month ago while I was on vacation I took a phantom seat + double pan messinger to local custom car shop specific in interior work.went to Johann fabric bought yard of marine vinyl. Prior to this removed spring under carriage on both and sandblast (glass bead) both pans.also had horsehair pad from orig longspring seat for pattern. I had to insist they use orig pad so seat would keep its shape! Phantom seat they supplied new padding.1 day and buck and half later/ seats done resprayed pans installed springs. Phantom seat padding? Was so cheap I stripped all off and instructed them to redo with chipped compressed foam off orig. But later seat.after one week of BS took seat back undone and they used my yard of vinyl for another customer. Took seat to a guy about 2 blocks from me- works at home. All is well both seats fine.keep orig padding if you can + pan has to be clean for adhesive.

ok, I'm going to revive this since my searches have still come up empty. I really would like to know how to do this. I get they are sewn together which I could prob figure out but I want to know how to get it tight?

I've done this once. You need two pieces of leather, one for the top and one for under the seat pan sandwiched between the pan and the seat frame and springs. The leathers get sewn together on the edges. Sorry I have no videos.

Go on YouTube and search either
wet forming or wet molding leather.

You also need to use the right type of leather.

Last edited:
I used vegetable tanned leather and used contact cement to adhere the bottom piece to the underside of the pan. The tooling grade vegetable tanned leather when moistened is malleable and can be formed into the desired shape such as around the padding and pan. I wish I had pictures but this was a long time ago. After the saddle was done then it was dyed and finished.

Back