When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single tube valve repair

-

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hello,

I have come across a matching pair of slightly hardened (but not hard) 28 x 1.5 singletube tires by York (Victory model).
One tube holds air, the other the one way valve does not retain air...it inflates then deflates, and unfortunately just screwing the cap on doesn't help.
Any suggestions? Can just the valve be replaced?
Also, is there a way to soften them up a little?
Thanks, Chris
tire valve.jpg
york tire.jpg

I have seen a hand-truck with a tube in the tire that had the valve replaced, but that was just a hand-truck , not a bicycle. Seems it is possible though.

However, if the valve stem is still attached to the tube properly, the valve core may be at fault and these are extremely easy to have replaced. A tire shop should be able to do it. If you can't find one that can, tou will need a core removal tool and a core replacement kit.

Not sure about the valves but I had luck softening up a pair that looked to be pretty far gone. I slowly warmed them up with a space heater while "massaging" them with Armor-all wipes. They ended up looking good and surprisingly holding air! I haven't ridden on them but they've been holding air for a few months...good luck!
Bud

I have 2 28 inch chain tires and the valve stem one is just hanging on by a thread. I'm interested in knowing if they can be replaced. The tires are still soft. Please someone chime in and help us.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the space heater and armor all...they really are not that bad, but could be improved slightly.
The leak is definitely not a breach through the rubber around the stem, it is the valve itself.
If I inflate the tire, then put my finger over the valve, the hissing stops, it's the one way mechanism for sure.

Back