When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skip Tooth Chain Issue

-

JimRoy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
IMG_7762.jpg
IMG_7070.jpg
IMG_7666.JPG
Cabers, I have a 1920s Columbia with a Pope skip tooth crank. Is there a particular chain I need? The Diamond skip tooth chain constantly pops when I ride it. I have verified that it is the chain that is popping and not the crank or the rear hub. I'm not sure if the issue is with the Pope crank sprocket, or with the hub sprocket, or both. The pitch on both is close to 1", but the chain pops when I ride it. The alignment looks good, the chain is in great shape, it is wide enough, and it is oiled and adjusted right. It seems like a mismatch issue. The chain is not original to the bicycle. Thanks, Jim

make sure its the right pitch chain ,there was some odd pitch set ups used on some of the early bikes to keep you coming back to the selling dealer ,i have not run into this yet only what i have read right here on the cabe <last resort > just check this for sure after you replace that worn rear cog ,Mike Cates knows a lot about chains and sells them ,he is here on the cabe and the wheelman ! regards mike

Thanks. I'm going to dig back into this weekend to see what I can find.

Back