When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skip Tooth Chain with No Master Link?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

furyus

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is the kind of thing that makes me feel stupid even though I know better. I have a skip tooth chain on a bike and for the life of me I cannot find a master link on it. All the links look exactly the same. Trying to break the chain so I can remove it from the frame without damaging the chain. I probably will just break it but hope to keep it serviceable. Any secrets on these old 1” pitch chains?

I've run into that once too. It's still hanging on the frame. You'll need a chain breaker to push a pin out. Probably best to remove a both pins and replace with a master. I don't like to use re- pressed pins.
Johnny

It more than likely has a master link. The problem often lies in the fact that the side plate for the master is the same as all the other links. Look carefully at each link looking for one that the pins are slightly different. Good luck!

I've had plenty that were just put together with a chain tool, it was a lot easier than finding a another master link or to get the right length.

The chain on my Pierce had no master link when I found it. Since it was worn out/stretched so much and was no longer usable I drove out a pin using a punch after breaking a chain tool trying to remove a couple pins. Good luck!

So it seems to be not that unusual. With old eyes and bright sunlight still couldn’t manage to find a master. I appreciate the responses.

Back