When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skip tooth conversion

-

Goldslinger

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 42 Columbia that PO put a 2 speed Bendix and a 1/2 “ pitch front chain ring on. (which is bent) I am going to restore it this winter and put the proper Morrow and coffin ring on it. My question is can I grind off every other tooth on the hub and will it track properly with a skip chain ring and chain. I was going to put the front skip tooth chain ring on. Have any of you guys done this? MVPA convention coming up no time to change rear hub. Thanks Sam

I've done it that way. I have also taken a ND d sprocket and made it work with the Bendix hub. First way works but won't last forever the second way takes more time but has a better result.

Why not use an old skip rear cog on it? I think Bendix/Musselman/Elgin, etc all use the same standard thread. I have NOS skip cogs if you wanted to try.

Details details - I have never taken anything but single speed coasters apart. Interesting to know!

Back