When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skipper?

-

Bike boys

Look Ma, No Hands!
IMG_0334_zpslfr0fye8.jpg
:)
IMG_0332_zpsuzkzwj7j.jpg
Hello and I'm glad I'm here,
I was riding bikes today. Me and my brother collect vintage bikes. Most of which are schwinn. (But women's and not in high value) we just like the feeling of riding old bikes. Not new ones. Well today was nice so we were on a nice ride. And I stopped looked in the weeds and I saw two old ones. A 60s/70s huffy with a baby seat. And I couldn't recognize the other one. Well I got to his door. And asked if I could look. Got closer and I read the serial looked it up and it's a 61 Chicago schwinn. It is really rough but I'm looking to restore. Saw chrome fenders under the really ugly and bad paint job sombody did. But I am also saw a little clip for a cable on the bar (?) and a rack I've never seen a picture of a skipper with a rack. I already got a 61 Debbie. Just curious if I can "complete" the pair. Just wondering what this old bike is

Reactions: REC
With that frame/year I would say that's a Skipper if the fenders were chrome. That cable clip was probably added as a Paperboy's pencil clip. lol The carrier is not a Schwinn piece. Hope you can clean that up and make something out of it, neat frame.

See if the headtube is/was white. That would verify it as a Skipper

Last edited:
Wire brushed a the front paint off a little and I saw white. But I chipped some paint off and the main color looks orange?
I've always seen red skippers, might be losing my mind

This one was the Skipper (24") -
61 D23 Skipper 24 ~.JPG

This one was just done in black and the guy that did it says it was the frame from Hell. He had some material issues and ended up stripping it three times before it came out as he thought I expected (Good help is VERY appreciated, he does a nice job!) The "bare" looking spots were areas that required a little repair before I gave it to him. Brazed and filed smooth - no plastic filler in that puppy!
The other two were Typhoons - 20" & 26"
Good luck with yours, and Keep posting your progress
REC

Its a Skipper. Wish I could find a nice one. Would make a cool his/hers with the wifes Debbie

My plan is to make it nice again.. know of any stickers or people who pinstripe? Need a front head badge too... might be a pricy one....

Mid 1961 the frame changed to the continuous straight bar . The red one is an early `61 26" .The black is a late`61 24" . You will only see 1 Skipper for every 100 cantilever frame Schwinns. These always came with white wheels. I just like chrome more. I still have the red one.
20160220_135740.jpg
IMG_7977.JPG

Back