When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skiptooth Chain Breaker Found!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hey guys, just a brief post to let you know I found a chain breaker tool that works perfectly on old skip tooth chains! My LBS helped me match this one up to my 1930-something Diamond Skiptooth. The pins are narrow enough that it allows for a skip tooth to fit in just fine and straight. Put a little light oil on the threads and it went like a breeze!

It is a Sunlite Mini.

IMG_4516-1.jpg

IMG_4517-1.jpg

I've had bad luck with Sunlites chain removal tools....but this one works huh? Need one...how much was it?

I got mine yesterday. It looks like the teeth will need some modification with a Dremel, but that should not be too hard. I haven't tried breaking a chain with it yet.

Had to open up the upper teeth with a Dremel stone a bit, but after I did that I was able to open up a skip tooth chain with it. Be warned that breaker pin on this is plastic so you have to make sure you are on the chain straight. That's where opening up those teeth really comes in handy.

I bought a Park CT-3.2 with the adjustable shelf. Haven't used the adjustable shelf yet, but it works on every chain including skiptooth with no modification and costs $26 + $3 shipping. So it's a little pricier but it has the metal pins and they thread onto the shaft instead of being inserted into it, so if they break they are easy to replace. Haven't broken one yet, but it came with an extra one in case I do. I hated spending that much, but I just kept busting pins and bending pieces on the other tools I've had

After working more with the Sunlite, I found the pin is threaded onto the shaft and is actually metal. It's just a plastic-like paint they put on the pin. After modding the teeth, it worked like a champ on a couple Diamond skip tooth chains I needed to re-size.

Back